Monitor laws - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
hoppingherps
Monitor laws

Okay had to refund my first shipment today even before I shipped it out. I in my right mind could not ship the monitor after finding out the buyer lived in a state that it is illegal to own them. The state is Massachusetts, and if anyone can give me a list of other states that have regulations in keeping, breeding, etc... That would be much appreciated. Thankyou for taking a look,
Michael

Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingherps View Post
Okay had to refund my first shipment today even before I shipped it out. I in my right mind could not ship the monitor after finding out the buyer lived in a state that it is illegal to own them. The state is Massachusetts, and if anyone can give me a list of other states that have regulations in keeping, breeding, etc... That would be much appreciated. Thankyou for taking a look,
Michael
Michael. there is a site that lists general exotics law but you can look up the law yourself as well in the individual state's laws to make sure that your information is complete and current:
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...ls_summary.php

Realize though that some towns and cities will have additional statutes.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
hoppingherps
Thankyou will keep it in my favorites and make sure its looked at often so as not to let this problem arise again. I do not want to have a federal offense stuck on me, or put my family through a huge legal battle. That's the last thing this community needs is a DNR officer buying from an illegal state and someone gets caught up in one of there half witted stings.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingherps View Post
Thankyou will keep it in my favorites and make sure its looked at often so as not to let this problem arise again. I do not want to have a federal offense stuck on me, or put my family through a huge legal battle. That's the last thing this community needs is a DNR officer buying from an illegal state and someone gets caught up in one of there half witted stings.
Enforcing a law is not a half witted sting. But you are doing the right thing by checking. Take that list as a starting point only, do a research for yourself, once you do a couple the searches will be easier. Again, you might do a search for the city as well as the state, for instance, New York City has additional rules in its health code.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
hoppingherps
No I did not mean them enforcing the law is half witted. I meant by not knowing the state laws you send the package to lets say a undercover dnr officer, and now you have inadvertently became a law breaker(lacey act, federal offenses, etc..). I know ignorance of the law is not a defense, but having the information more readily available would make this impossible unless the seller just did not care about the law.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!