Untame Iguana Help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
OneStopShot
Untame Iguana Help!

Recently, or just yesturday late basically. I have found a iguana in need of rescue, so I did. It a male adult, about 5 years in age. He has a huge attitude, can't even get close without it hissing and puffing. Then it wants to whip you if you try to touch him, even by walking pass him gets him angry. I could see he has no trust in humans.

Can I have pointers on what to do to tame him?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
stolenheron
Give him plenty of time, plenty of space and proper housing. let him settle into his enclosure (which should be roomy and provide all the luxuries of outdoors if you plan on keeping him inside).

a big old male won't tame down quickly or easily. You may be able to eventually sucker him into tolerating you through food treats.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
IG DAD
Yup it will take some time with a male. he might be in his mating season as they get much more aggressive. get a green dog toy or suck and see if he attacks it or toys to mate with it. bribe he with treats, grapes or bananas to show he your not going to hurt him. just try to make and effort each day so he can get use to you and you movements. it took me and my wife about 8 months to get a female of ours use to us to where there was no more hissing, tail whipping or mouth full of teeth greeting us when we reached in her enclosure.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
OneStopShot
I understand what you guys are telling me. Thank you for the responses.

I have another question, Yesturday I let him room my room with me there, he didn't seem mad or anything. Then He slept on a blanked. The next day, I woked him up to put him in his outside cage, he automatically got mad. But now he been more mad at me, like he got a grudge at the idea i woked him up. So, does he have a grudge, or is it just not his day?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Snake-Queen
He might be mad that you put him back in his cage. After spending time roaming around in a big area, he is not happy about being in a smaller area.
heck, you are in FL build him a nice big area outside.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
OneStopShot
Thank you for the responses.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Lizzy65
It took 2 years for one of my iggys to like me! Just don't push it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
green iguana, iguana