Need help with first pet savannah monitor - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Offkillter1
No real secret to breeding dubia just keep them relatively warm and fed.They do the rest.As for super worms I just keep them in a tub with fresh wheat bran toss them an occasional carrot and leave them alone.I also have a thriving colony of super worms living in the substrate of my turtles pen.I literally do nothing but leave a scrap or two of food occasionally and their numbers are booming.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
Skanakis
Just read on the dubais. I can do that in a 10 gal. ok....What do you think? 10 gal? screen top, egg crates on bottom.....whats this water gel stuff....im thinking more of wet sponges

Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
chairman
Try to increase the surface temp on the basking spot to 130. Adding another light should do the trick.

A tip on handling... don't. Leave the end of a hemostat or pair of tongs in his food area whenever there's food in there. Spend a lot of time in the room, act just like you would if he wasn't there. When you spot clean, change water, etc, never bother him. When he starts to get curious about you then you can begin to hold food with the hemostat/tongs and feed him that way. Take it slow and patient, let all interactions be on the monitor's terms, and he'll almost completely lose his fear of you. I used this approach and my monitor wanders over to the enclosure door to see what I'm up to every time I enter the room, faster if he sees the tongs. He still contemplates whether or not some piece of me might be edible every once in a while, but a healthy monitor isn't going to be puppy dog tame. More like cat tame, one of those cats that will pounce/bite a toe just because it is moving and the cat is bored.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
Skanakis
alright guys....send me to your trusted dubai seller. Gonna start a colony in a ten gallon. Im gonna need a starter kit of males females and such.....would rather get someone you guys are dealing with. Hes doing pretty well so far. hes been coming out to his basking spot. Still skittish but im taking your advice. Slowly getting him used to me. Im spraying the cage here and there...keeping up the humidity although florida is VERY humid at the present time. So far so good...so fellas lead me to your trusted dubai seller. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
Skanakis
whoaaaaaa....i just read something about florida law and dubais...guys....do you know anything bout that?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #16
Skanakis
just spent hours upon hours looking around....and damn them to hell....dubais are illegal in florida. And they are the EASIEST to keep to. I dont know guys....let me hear some feed back here. Is it legal to have them shipped from out of state? Is there in state breeders here? Or is just just all the way around illegal to own them, breed em...etc......

And as an alternative what would you guys suggest to breed?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
Skanakis
another thing....i got the whole handling thing. Now when the hell is he gonna stop pooping all over me. I gotta wear plastic gloves from so much poop hes spitting out man. pretty nasty. lol. I hold him over his tank so it drops in the tank atleast. Im handling him 10 minutes every other day.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Skanakis
I leave him alone though alot. I am on his terms. He is mostly hiding out under his mopar wood.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
KORBIN5895
Hey Stavros, did you read that website in the second post? I highly recommend you live by that or your sav won't live too awful long. Pm and I can get you in touch with a very knowledgeable save hobbiest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!