Good substrate mix for monitors? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
hadenglock
Question Good substrate mix for monitors?

Ive been pondering this for quite some time now as everyone has different answers but nobody seems to give me good specifics on their mixtures. What i want to know is the kind of substrate mix you use and how well it holds moisture and how well it does for digging and holding burrows. Ive already found some people using decomposed granite but its not available anywhere near me. I am building a horse trough enclosure for my ackies. Thank you for any input.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Offkillter1
Some folks seem to have no problems using regular fill dirt. Both my Savs are housed on peat moss. It's really good at holding moisture as well as mold resistant. I wouldn't advise feeding in an enclosure filled with peat just in the off chance of ingestion but I've had no problems in the two years I've used it. As for burrowing my female loves it. It compacts really hard on the surface and hold a burrow well. I guess you'll probably get a dozen different suggestions and it really boils down to your personal preference.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
chairman
A sand/soil mix works well. About 60-70% sand by weight.

I use the soil from my backyard. It contains a fair amount of small rocks, sand, soil, clay, organic matter, etc. The rabbits and groundhogs don't have a problem establishing burrows in it and neither does my savannah monitor.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
suzuki4life
Sifted pool sand with just enough topsoil to turn mix brown. Make it wet and see how well it clumps in your hand. Playsand is too course.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!