Possibility of Successful Inter Genera Mating of Turtles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Glenn Bartley
Possibility of Successful Inter Genera Mating of Turtles

My son and I have been keeping a male Stinkpot (Sternotherus odoratus) or Musk Turtle for about 8-9 years now. He has been the lone occupant of his tank for most of that time, but has had company from some crayfish, minnows, darters and goldfish which mostly wind up as food. On rare occasion he has had the company of another turtle for brief periods. However, there has not been another chelonian in that tank for years now, that is until about a week or so ago. We also had a female Eastern Painted (Chrysemys picta) turtle in an outdoor pen. It suddenly got pretty cold for a couple of nights (unexpected to be that cold this early) so I decided to move it inside early. I did not have a tank set up, but would have two spare ones in a day or so, so in with the Stinkpot went the Painted Lady (as much as I do not usually mix species). As luck had it the spare tanks both got cracked so the two remained together for about a week or so.

After being together most of the week, I noticed the Stinkpot mating the Painted Turtle. he was fully implanted, and she was apparently not stressed out by this. I have heard of interbreeds across genera regarding snakes such as a cross between a Gopher Snake and a Corn Snake, but I have never heard about turtles doing this. Then again my Stinkpot, throughout his lonely existence, tried to mate pieces of flower pot and rounded stones in his tank. He is persistent if nothing else.

Now my questions:

1) Is it possible that these two turtles from different genera could possibly produce fertile eggs that hatch out viable young?

2) Even if you think it to be impossible - does anyone know the mating to egg laying period for an Eastern Painted Turtle?

If there is any chance at all, I would not want to miss the opportunity of seeing these babies because she winds up dumping her eggs in the water or on a basking area. Thanks

Old 09-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
coyote
So, what happened? Were there viable eggs?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!