albino to albino??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
ted zalewski
albino to albino???

is it a bad thing to breed boas(both albino)? does this cause any genetic problems? these are BCI by the way. thanks, and please help, ted

Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
Did they come from the same breeder? same parents?

Old 02-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
hhmoore
There are some anomalies/defects which have been associated with the albino trait (at least the Kahl strain, I'm not sure about Sharp) - most notably with the eyes: one eye, no eyes, different sized eyes, blindness. Since it is hard to know the genetic makeup of any albino, many people are opting to outcross - breeding hets from different stock to albinos or hets - to minimize the risk. Purchasing stock from different dealers/breeders does not necessarily guarantee that you will not have problems for a variety of reasons: babies from a single clutch can be scattered across the country (gotta love the internet), so you could unknowingly end up with closely related animals; Kahl strain albinos can be traced back to a small number of initial animals; many people have taken the quick/easy route, breeding siblingXsibling (motherXson, etc).
This is not to say that one cannot breed albino X albino and get strong, healthy babies...but if even one baby ends up with a problem, the entire litter should be suspect; and serious consideration given to further breeding of that pair.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Harald stated it perfectly.

Way too many people took the fast track back at the beginning of albino boas and everyone is paying the price now. You are much better off taking your time - outcrossing - and strengthening your bloodline.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
ted zalewski
the two albinos in question are definetly from two different breeders one in ohio,one in kansas. (thanks so far for the replies)

Old 02-04-2006, 02:35 AM   #6
hhmoore
My albino females are from 3 different places as well, all good names...strong stock. But after weighing everything out, I opted to go with hypo het albino males...I didn't really want to deal with het babies, but felt it was a better option in the long run.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
ted zalewski
so what everyone is saying, (if i want to keep it small) i should have a pair of hets a pair albinos then just mix it up?

Old 02-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
hhmoore
only you can decide what is right for you...depends on what you are trying to accomplish and where your priorities are. As I said, my initial goal did not include having to deal with het babies...but as I looked more longterm, I felt that I would prefer to do that than risk setbacks or weaker lines. The issue is that the eye deformities appear to be related to the albino gene, and (from what I have seen) seems to be most prevalent in albinoXalbino pairings. If I were to experience this with one of my pairings, I would feel compelled to restart my project because if there are problems with the babies it is likely to have come from the parents. That's 3-4 years down the tubes. Again, this is just my thought on the subject.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
The other side of the spectrum.........
My F3 is one of the early Kahls. Bred in just such a manner. The original Kahl male, bred to a normal and produced hets....... 0.1 of these hets was later bred back to dad, and produced Aurora. She is now 7 yrs old, (this month) and has never had an unhealthy day in her life. Not one belly ache, not one bad shed, Nothing. So it is possible to have perfectly healthy babies from inbreeding as well.

Not to discredit what Harald or Mike has stated. It is very sound and good advise to line breed. I too believe in the strengthening of the gene theory, and this has slowed down My actual purchases significantly, due to Me wanting some proof of non sibling-ship. (is that even a word? LOL)

But these days, now that there has been a significant amount of breeding going on with albinos, I think the problem is pretty insignificant.
Now the problem hits the other morphs people are trying to make too quickly, like snows.

Just My $0.025
Rick

Old 03-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Back to the Hypo's....

OK, So I don't pretend to be a genetics pro, or even a long time breeder of morphs. I do not (any longer) question the salmon Hypo gene as being dominant.
But something about it just keeps Me thinking there is more to the salmon than mere Hypomelanism. As we know, the reduction of melanin allows for the erythrin to show through better in salmon hypos. They get redder with age.
Take a normal albino, versus a sunglow. We'll use kahl strain since that's what I am more familiar with.
A normal albino will generally loose it's red or orange with age.
A sunglow gets brighter, just like a salmon does.

Now to my feeble mind, in order for this increase in erythrin to come about, the gene would have to be affected in some way. Similar to some pastels which are concidered polygenic.

Anybody else have thoughts on this? Not trying to play evil scientist and discredit anything others have previously established, just something that has always bugged Me about this gene.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!