How many boas are there? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #11
Art Klass
Quote:
Boa constrictor amarali
Boa constrictor constrictor
Boa constrictor imperator
Boa constrictor longicauda
Boa constrictor mexicana
Boa constrictor nebulosa
Boa constrictor occidentalis
Boa constrictor orophias
Boa constrictor ortonii
Boa constrictor sabogae
Thanks Mike. I didn't have mexicana. Add B. c. melanogaster to the list for a total of 11 so far.
Quote:
Technically, though, an intergrade is the breeding of two subspecies in an area of range overlap. If there is no range overlap, then it is not really an intergrade.
That's good to know Harold. If an intergrade is a breeding among two subspecies in an area of range overlap, then is there a particular name for a breeding of two subspecies where there is no range overlap?
Quote:
Many of the larger "Hog Islands" that we see are not from Cayos de Cochinos, but are lighter specimens taken from mainland Honduras.
I thought Hoggs came from Cayos de Cochinos originally, but when the island became depleated they were collected from other nearby islands. I was not aware that they were also collected from the mainland. Thanks for that tidbit.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #12
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Here's a pretty decent list to start working from.
I welcome any clarifications or corrections.

Boa

Boa constrictor amarali
Boa constrictor constrictor
Boa constrictor imperator
Boa constrictor longicauda
Boa constrictor mexicana
Boa constrictor nebulosa
Boa constrictor occidentalis
Boa constrictor orophias
Boa constrictor ortonii
Boa constrictor sabogae
boa constrictor melanogaster
boa constrictor sigma
I think you left those out

Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Art Klass
Quote:
boa constrictor melanogaster
boa constrictor sigma
I think you left those out
Thanks for your post Jake. We have listed melanogaster, but not sigma. I have not heard of that one. Where does it come from? Art

Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
Jake The Snake
It says in this book here the stigme, Tres Marias Island Boa is found off of only 1 island about 60 miles off the pacific coast of mexico

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!