Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - Page 19 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #181
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
Interesting questions, I think you and Rich posted at the same time, maybe he can answer them.
I believe I already did. The posters of the ads can edit them to make any additions and/or corrections.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #182
hhmoore
The correct course will vary by the advertiser.
I don't like people posting in my ads; so if somebody does, most of the time I delete it and repost.
In the case of somebody posting misinformation in one of my ads (if I was not able to respond), there would be several options: 1) edit my original ad to make things clearer, 2) delete the ad and start over - which could result in another similar post, 3) leave it and hope that somebody else interjects to clarify (a twist on this option would be to contact a friend that could do that), 4) PM the person, explaining why their post was incorrect & ask them to edit/remove it.

I won't say that I haven't posted in ads for the wrong reasons; but, when one sees what is perceived as a mistake or misrepresentation, why don't people use a PM to notify the advertiser? I think most of us would rather get that kind of a nudge, so we can explain ourselves or correct our error, rather than getting called out in our ads. Saving the posting in ads for those sellers that ignore this approach would be a plus on several levels (IMO).

Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #183
Ponderosa Snake
I liked when everyone was able to post comments. Made the classifieds different than the other classified. Several times I learned a thing or two about a morph, animal and especially the seller. Sure there may be some indirect conversation, but that is the way we communicate. If you are the type of person that doesn't like or want to deal with it then there is the option close the ad.

I am type of person that likes to read about everything I am interested in. Say someone post's a "Super Rad Awesome Cool Dope" morph. I may think wow that looks like a normal to me. Then someone post's that it looks like a normal. Another person or the op explains the reason it is a "Super Rad Awesome Cool Dope" morph. It saves me from posting or PMing the op and I learned something.

I know it has been rehashed many times over. I just think if you don't want post in the ads then no one should be able to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I won't say that I haven't posted in ads for the wrong reasons; but, when one sees what is perceived as a mistake or misrepresentation, why don't people use a PM to notify the advertiser? I think most of us would rather get that kind of a nudge, so we can explain ourselves or correct our error, rather than getting called out in our ads. Saving the posting in ads for those sellers that ignore this approach would be a plus on several levels (IMO).
I agree a PM would be best in certain situations. Some people seem to like the taste of foot though.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #184
Chrisw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Then Rich wouldnt have needed to "lockdown" the classifieds. Its too simple!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #185
ceduke
I'm late to this discussion, just wanted to say that I LOVE this update, and I like the idea of no replies at all even better. Not clicking on ads that some schmuck bumped up from years ago that's now on the first page is very very helpful.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #186
PAVLOVK1025
I think you're getting bored being all retired and whatnot.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #187
timebider
I'm coming to this discussion really late, and haven't read all of the replies yet, but wanted to throw in my two cents.

I like the ability to reply in classifieds ads. I almost never do it myself, but I've directly reaped the benefit from others' ability to do so. A former customer of mine recently posted a really nice, and unexpected, compliment in one of my ads. It was awesome for me as a relatively unknown seller to have him telling others that they can't go wrong buying from me locally. Showing up in the ad as it did, the comment had the appearance of being both totally unsolicited and "un-pre-meditated" (as it in fact was). I also like receiving nice comments about my animals (who wouldn't ), because I think it encourages other buyers who might be sitting on the fence. One of those, "hey, maybe I better go ahead and get that animal I want before someone else beats me to it" kind of things.

I've also observed that ads that have several responses catch more attention. People want to see what's being said and/or what's so compelling about that particular animal. Is it possible to make it so that responses don't bump ads? And maybe some sort of rule that a second ad for the same animal can't be posted within three months? That way, members could still benefit from the bump feature. Although I realize it would make more work for mods, policing the abuse of duplicate ads. Just thinking out loud here.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #188
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebider View Post
A former customer of mine recently posted a really nice, and unexpected, compliment in one of my ads. It was awesome for me as a relatively unknown seller to have him telling others that they can't go wrong buying from me locally. Showing up in the ad as it did, the comment had the appearance of being both totally unsolicited and "un-pre-meditated" (as it in fact was). I also like receiving nice comments about my animals (who wouldn't ), because I think it encourages other buyers who might be sitting on the fence. One of those, "hey, maybe I better go ahead and get that animal I want before someone else beats me to it" kind of things.
Would you still like them if the comment was not so nice?

Quote:
I've also observed that ads that have several responses catch more attention. People want to see what's being said and/or what's so compelling about that particular animal.
I think they just want to see the drama that is assumed to exist in an ad that has a lot of responses. I really have not seen too many ads where a lot of responses was a good thing.

It never occurred to me that I can no longer respond to my own ad in cases where a paying member posts negative information or attempts to elude that something is wrong with the animal. I have no way to defend myself. If I do nothing, I am assumed to be admitting its true since I am not posting to deny it. If I delete and repost, then I am appearing deceitful. Yes I can edit the ad but the accusations are still there and most people are not going to look at the original post for a response to an accusation in the thread. Still seems the best approach; other than not posting the ad at all, is to lock the thread, even though that too gives the impression I am hiding something.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #189
Clay Davenport
Quote:
A former customer of mine recently posted a really nice, and unexpected, compliment in one of my ads. It was awesome for me as a relatively unknown seller to have him telling others that they can't go wrong buying from me locally. Showing up in the ad as it did, the comment had the appearance of being both totally unsolicited and "un-pre-meditated" (as it in fact was).
I'm sure every seller enjoys having a compliment posted in their ad. While we usually try to turn a blind eye to positive comments as long as they aren't getting excessive, the reality is they should be posted on the BOI and not the classifieds. Negative posts of that nature (excluding just a link to a BOI thread) receive infractions, but the letter of the rule would include complimentary BOI style posts we well. We just hate to chastise anyone for being nice if we can help it.
Besides wouldn't you rather have a Good Guy thread on the BOI instead of a temporary compliment in the classifieds? Anything in the classifieds only lasts until either you delete the ad or it sinks into obscurity, but a Good Guy thread is there forever for anyone who does a search.

Quote:
Is it possible to make it so that responses don't bump ads?
This was discussed among the moderation staff at one point. It would be an ideal solution, but the problem was enabling that feature in the classifieds in turn disables the custom bump feature. The custom code and that setting are fundamentally incompatible.

Quote:
And maybe some sort of rule that a second ad for the same animal can't be posted within three months? That way, members could still benefit from the bump feature. Although I realize it would make more work for mods, policing the abuse of duplicate ads. Just thinking out loud here.
This idea wouldn't just be more work, it would be altogether impossible to implement even with a staff of several dozen moderators. The site gets several hundred new ads posted per day. Imagine having to open every one of those ads and then check the OP's post history for the previous 90 days and trying to see if that specific animal had been posted in that time. Then do that every single day.
I'm sure once you think about actually doing it you can see what an insurmountable undertaking that would be.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #190
timebider
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
Would you still like them if the comment was not so nice?
I conduct my business in such a manner that I don't have to worry about negative comments.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!