BOI Button on User Posts - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
R. Eventide
OH! Okay. Drrrrrrr.

TGIF. :P

Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #42
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
The concern was if the name that is listed in the profile isn't in the BOI thread. If say, only the username was listed.

Having it search for three different things (name + username + business name) would put stress on the server...That's why only one would be preferable (my vote is name).
Ok... time to play devils advocate

what is the difference of me doing those 3 individual searches manually.... or having a button do them all for me. If I am thinking of offering up cash for an animal... Im gonna do all three anyways.

Personally I think all three should be there and this is why.

Lets say a particular ad only has his real name and screen name and everything turns up good... BUT there is some questionable info about him via his business name. The guy has never responded to that thread so just a screen name search may or may not turn it up.

I cant remember who I was searching for the other day, but one of the search parameters didnt pull up any BOI threads but the second parameter did.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #43
Southern Wolf
Just to kinda prove my point I ran a search on me and this is what I came up with

Search on my name - 8 threads (including my GG thread on BOI)
Search by my company name - Same 8 threads as above
Search by my user name - 117 thread listed and my GG thread on the BOI is not one of them. (even though I posted inside of that thread)

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #44
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
what is the difference of me doing those 3 individual searches manually.... or having a button do them all for me. If I am thinking of offering up cash for an animal... Im gonna do all three anyways.
Read post #1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
With all the recent posts about users not researching a buyer first or having no knowledge about the BOI in general, I thought maybe I could make a suggestion.

At the bottom of every post made by a user are a set of buttons linking to the Ads and Gallery of the user. Why not create a button that, when clicked, runs a search in the Board of Inquiry for the name in the users profile. You will come up with dud results just like you do when running a search manually, but it will short cut for those who aren't very forum savvy.
Quote:
Personally I think all three should be there and this is why.
I agree. While that would be great if it could, you need to consider the mechanics of the website. You need to consider what implementing something like that would do to the speed for the hundreds (if not thousands) that visit the site every day. If it's a choice between button that searches for name vs no button, I choose button that searches for name. That's just my thoughts on it.

As Rich has said, he's in no hurry to implement anything new. I just wanted to provide some for food thought.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #45
Southern Wolf
Considering I wrote the code for my webstie... I have a little knowledge on the subject.... just never implimented a search function on my site...but wouldnt the demand be put on the servers ONLY when someone actually clicked the button. Therefore it is just like any other link unitl the button is clicked?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #46
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Considering I wrote the code for my webstie... I have a little knowledge on the subject.... just never implimented a search function on my site...but wouldnt the demand be put on the servers ONLY when someone actually clicked the button. Therefore it is just like any other link unitl the button is clicked?
What this would entail is entirely different that a general search engine on a small site. It wouldn't be difficult to implement by any means, but the server strain it could cause was the concern Rich raised. But yes, it would make a demand on the servers only when clicked. As Rich pointed out, what if 50-100 people happened to click a BOI button all at the same time. I understand his point.

Ideally it should run a search of username, profile name & business name. For business name to be a factor it would need added as a profile field, of course. What would be ideal and what Rich would be willing to consider may be two different things.

He hasn't yayed or nayed the idea yet, so hopefully interest and bouncing ideas off one another in this thread shows that the members may appreciate and utilize such a feature.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #47
Southern Wolf
I know I was searching around about an hour ago before I contacted someone on here about their animal that is listed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!