Gestation Period - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
thesnakeman
Question Gestation Period

I'm just wondering how ambient temperature will effect lenght of gestation. Will cooler temps make for longer gestaion time? Warmer temps make for a shorter gestaion time? I know it makes a difference for the eggs after they are laid, so I'm assuming the same dynamics apply to them before they are laid.
T.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
epidemic
Climate and gestation

Tony,

There has been a bit of research conducted in this area which has shown oogenesis can delayed when tempertures are above or below optimal. However, this is not typical, as specimens in the wild are able to move from one micro-habitat to another which allows them to chose from shelters harboring a range of temperatures. Also, it has been documented that mature ova may be retained within the follicles and not shed into the oviduct, where fertilization, shell deposition and the early stages of embryonic development are carried out, should unusually low temperatures be incurred. This would create a delay in gestation.
Should extended periods of excessive temperatures be incurred, such would prove detrimental to the developing ova, as both excessive heat and evaporative water loss, caused by such, would take a toll on both the ova and female.
In short, periods of low temperatures would delay gestation, while periods of excessive temperatures would prove detrimental.

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 03-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
thesnakeman
So what would you say is the best ambient temp. for the duration of gestation. Would it, or should it be the same as during incubation? And what would you say for incubation temp? 74? aprox? I try to keep them cool most of the time. During the day they have a chance to bask, but in the hide box, it stays with room temp, which does fluctuate from day to night 76-68. They don't seem to have much use for the basking light, but Mongo, the big male is out basking every day. I just thought that since we are so concerned about incubation temps, maybe we should pay more attention to gestation temps too. Thanks Jeff,
T.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
epidemic
Gestation temps..

Tony,

I follow the weather patterns occurring in areas my animals are native to, using the following website to follow such: www.weatherunderground.com.
For D. couperi, I tend to allow the temperature to remain in the mid-upper 60’s and low 70’s immediately following copulation and I also provide a hot spot for a few hours daily and this is often utilized. During the course of gestation, I raise the ambient temperature and increase the photoperiod slightly over time, as occurs in the wild.

Take care,

Jeff

Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
thesnakeman
Jeff,
Yup, me too. Wunderground is a great site. But you know me,..always worrying, and trying to get things as close to perfect as possible.
T.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!