Uromastyx substrate & personal views? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Nocturnelle
Red face Uromastyx substrate & personal views?

Hi everyone!

I'm compiling information on Uromastyx as I am really interested in these lizards; but I wanted to get my facts straight first as well as some opinions from Uromastyx owners on their own babies. This will be my first owned reptile; my previous experiences includes helping my room-mates look after their leopard geckos and beardies.

I read a ton of care sheets and a lot of them specify using clean playsand as a substrate for adults. Is this true? And if I obtained a baby uromastyx, what substrate for them then?

As for current Uromastyx owners, what are the biggest differences that set them apart for you compared to other reptiles? Are they as tolerant to handling?

And finally... Mali or Ornate?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
hadenglock
just using sand as a substrate for these guys just doesnt cut imo. They needs something that is diggable, if i were you i would look into getting decomposed granite and a soil mixture, this makes a good diggable substrate for them. As far as being different from other reptiles, i like them because they look like little dinosaurs. For the most part they are tolerant with handling, although some wc specimens might take some time to calm down. I would go with a mali, but im sure either or is good choice

Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
defcon222
I use White millet as a substrate. It's cheap, digestible and it stays dry. I have a nest/shed box with 50/50 sifted playsand/peat to hold in the humidity.

For babies, you'd want papertowels (for really small babies/hatchlings). If it's a juvie, millet is good for them.

Check out deerfernfarms.com, Douglas Dix has some good info about uros on there.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Nocturnelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
just using sand as a substrate for these guys just doesnt cut imo. They needs something that is diggable, if i were you i would look into getting decomposed granite and a soil mixture, this makes a good diggable substrate for them. As far as being different from other reptiles, i like them because they look like little dinosaurs. For the most part they are tolerant with handling, although some wc specimens might take some time to calm down. I would go with a mali, but im sure either or is good choice
Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm looking into CB uros, especially since this is my first owned reptile. I have never heard of decomposed granite, I'll look it up!

May I ask why a mali?

Quote:
I use White millet as a substrate. It's cheap, digestible and it stays dry. I have a nest/shed box with 50/50 sifted playsand/peat to hold in the humidity.

For babies, you'd want papertowels (for really small babies/hatchlings). If it's a juvie, millet is good for them.

Check out deerfernfarms.com, Douglas Dix has some good info about uros on there.
Thank you! Where do you purchase white millet?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
hadenglock
I only recommend mali's personally because they are fairly easy to get captive bred, and even wc adults seem to do really good as well. Ive only worked with ornates briefly so i dont know really how there temperement is, but im sure its much like the mali's as well. you may want to check out a stone yard, or rock quarry to find decomposed granite, and you might be able to find it at a specialty garden store.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
defcon222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnelle View Post
Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm looking into CB uros, especially since this is my first owned reptile. I have never heard of decomposed granite, I'll look it up!

May I ask why a mali?

Thank you! Where do you purchase white millet?
There's an agway near me that carries it. Pet stores/farm supply store should carry it. I've also used finch food in a pinch. It has a lot of millet in it with some other seeds.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Lucille
I have a mali, I use lentils as my substrate.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Nocturnelle
Thanks guys on info for substrate!

Would a mali or an ornate be better for a beginner? I love both, can't decide on which to go for. Also, does gender matter much on temperament/colors etc?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
defcon222
Generally, the males tend to be brighter/more 'tame' (and this applies to animals in general, not just uros/reptiles). Females tend to be more skittish/flighty, but individuals will vary. My male mali will climb up my arm and sit on my shoulder when I clean the cage (sliding front doors), whereas the female will run into the hide the second she sees me. My female Saharan is a little better than the male, but they're both a little skittish (the male has gotten me with a few good tale whips). I don't have any experience with ornates, but malis tend to be easier to find and a little cheaper.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
substrate, uromastyx