Good News / Bad News (Unclaimed Payroll) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
AGoodwin
Question Good News / Bad News (Unclaimed Payroll)

About two weeks ago I got an email from my mother. At first it looked like her mail had been hacked (again) as it was telling be about how I had unclaimed money and all I had to do to claim it was to go to missingmoney.com. So, to me this seems like too good to be true, money doesn't just show up, lol. So I was about to delete the email when at the very end of the email I see "your unclaimed payroll money boo". At this point I realized that my mother actually did send this herself because well how the heck would someone just sending spam using my mothers email know that she called me boo? So I click and it turns out to be legit.

Optional BS Details: Years ago I moved in with my boyfriend at the time and had to leave my job up here because it was a 2.5 hour commute. At the time I wasn't making enough money for it to really be worth it, so I quit and got a job at..... Petco. Yeah, I know, don't tell me about how crappy they are, I know. ANYWAYS, I only worked there for about two weeks or so, I had to quit because it was way too stressful for me. I have anxiety and I really have trouble interacting with people so putting me in a high traffic cashier position with people
at me because I wont let them use expired coupons, NOT good. After multiple times breaking down crying I had to tell them I couldn't work there.

ANYWAYS, long story short I have $378.36 of unclaimed money. That's the good news. The bad news is that I don't have the proof they need for me to be able to claim it. (proof that you did reside at the reported address or proof that you did business with the reporting company)

It was my boyfriends house and it was years ago, I don't have any copies of bills that were sent to me there, and I certainly don't have anything from Petco to prove I worked there, sooooooo........ How do I get my money???

Anyone have any experience dealing with their states unclaimed property office?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Teatime
Quick google search... http://www.scambusters.org/unclaimed-money.html

There is no such thing as "free" money.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Teatime
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodwin View Post

Optional BS Details: Years ago I moved in with my boyfriend at the time and had to leave my job up here because it was a 2.5 hour commute. At the time I wasn't making enough money for it to really be worth it, so I quit and got a job at..... Petco. Yeah, I know, don't tell me about how crappy they are, I know. ANYWAYS, I only worked there for about two weeks or so, I had to quit because it was way too stressful for me. I have anxiety and I really have trouble interacting with people so putting me in a high traffic cashier position with people
As for this, if you're saying that you never got paid for working at Petco for those 2 weeks, you don't need to go through some random website to get your lost paycheck. Check with that store. Sometimes paychecks are voided after a certain amount of time, but they might have a policy on it.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
JColt
My work checks are voided after 3 months if uncashed.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
AGoodwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
Quick google search... http://www.scambusters.org/unclaimed-money.html

There is no such thing as "free" money.
This is not a scam if that is what you are trying to imply. In fact, the article you linked to actually listed the site I was sent to as one of the legit ones....

Quote:
Here are the state-sanctioned unclaimed funds registries...

National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators
==> http://www.unclaimed.org/
(Click on the link for 'Owners' and then click on the link to 'Find Property' -- this will let you select your state.)

Missing Money
==> http://www.missingmoney.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
As for this, if you're saying that you never got paid for working at Petco for those 2 weeks, you don't need to go through some random website to get your lost paycheck. Check with that store. Sometimes paychecks are voided after a certain amount of time, but they might have a policy on it.
First of all, it was back in 2009, so I highly doubt the original checks would be valid. Second, if they have submitted it as unclaimed property, chances are they do not have it anymore.

Tomorrow when I am feeling more up to it, I am going to give the treasury department a call and see if there is anything I can do about the not having "proof" bit. I don't understand why proof of my identity isn't good enough though....

Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
JColt
My wife just reminded me. About 12 years ago she got a notice from state-sanctioned unclaimed fund. It was for stock she had forgotten about from Caterpillar. 500 and some odd dollar. She only needed drivers license and last 4 digits of ss to claim.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
AGoodwin
well hopefully they will let me get away with just that. I guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
JColt
Good luck Amanda! Every buck counts!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!