housing hatchlings? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
bandit42
housing hatchlings?

i got 4 eggs in the incubator and they are my first ones. They are looking very healthy and the first clutch she laid should be popping in the next 2 weeks. So i have an extra 10 gallon tank and i want to keep the hatchlings in there (seperately). So how much space should i give each gecko? and what should i divide it with?

thanks to who all reply

Old 07-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
acpart
Measure the inside width of the terrarium and buy a piece of plexiglass to fit. Someone on another forum (Marcia, I think) suggested buying the plexiglass a little short and putting a small piece of aquarium tubing on the ends to hold the divider in place. This is working well for me. I divide my 10 gallon tanks in 2 sections and my 20 gallon long tanks in 3 sections. I house clutchmates together unless there is a significant size difference or they are bothering each other. This also has worked well. Currently I'm housing 16 hatchlings in 4 tanks with room for 4 more.

Aliza

Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
bandit42
alright i think im going to take your idea. Also for a first year female she has layed 4 eggs and is carrying 2 more. How many should she lay?

When housing clutchmates together what should i look for and how many hides etc. should i have?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
acpart
Last year one first year female laid 20 eggs --they all hatched. Another first year female laid 3 (I started her at the end of the season). There's no way to tell.

In each hatchling area I put 2 hides, one water bowl, 1 food bowl, 1 calcium dish and 1 humid hide. The calcium goes in milk bottle caps and the food/water go in jar lids. The humid hides are made from plastic rectangular shaped baby food containers but can also be made from small tupperware type disposable containers (Gladware). I make the regular hides myself from ceramics but there are lots of things that can be OK. I watch the weights carefully and if one is much smaller than the other I either switch it in with another of similar size or put it into a different enclosure.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Aliza

Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
bandit42
thanks for all your help. At what age do you seperate them or move them into different enclousures?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
bandit42
also what are you using as a heat source?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
acpart
I try to keep them together until I sell them. This year I have 2 that haven't sold yet and are getting pretty big so they are in a 20 gallon long with a young female. Everyone is getting along OK. I use repti-heat cable which I run the length of the tank along the back halfway to the front so when I divide the tank I have 3 areas that are heated in the back and not in the front. I hope that's understandable. If I need to convert from a hatchling enclosure to an adult, non-divided enclosure I reconfigure the heat cable so it runs the width of the tank on one side.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!