Installing heat tape on a homade snake rack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
Nickavr26
Installing heat tape on a homade snake rack

Hi so I’m possibly purchasing a 13 high CB-70 rack from a breeder in my city he currently has heat rope installed instead of heat tape. But everything I’ve read says that heat rope isn’t nearly as good as heat tape so I plan on taking out the heat rope and installing heat tape the rack looks to be 6.5-7 feet tall and wide enough for a CB-70 tub. My question is how difficult is it to install heat tape I plan on getting it from reptile basics. And how much should I plan on getting and is 4 or 6 inches preferred for a CB-70 tub. Last question is the rack should be fine with heat tape if it previously had heat rope correct as long as I keep it below 92 degrees and on a herpstat 1 thermostat I should be fine ? Thank you for any reply’s this is my first post sorry if the formats not correct or in the wrong section.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
bcr229
Without seeing the actual design of the rack and how the rope is set up, it's hard to say. The biggest issue is installing the heat tape so that the tubs don't damage it.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Heat cable isn't as bad as many people think it is. If you buy this rack I would personally test it how it is with the heat cable in place. It might just work perfectly fine for you. If you are wanting a rack with heat tape instead of heat cable I would personally get one with the heat tape built into it, installing heat tape into an existing rack will potentially be a huge pain. (not having the heat tape recessed will cause wear and tear as the tubs slide over the tape, and this is a fire hazard.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!