Why hots? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
MidgetFadeds
For me it was all about the uniqueness of the animal and the risk was something unfortunate that I was bound to mitigate for my safety and that of others. I liked the snakes as creatures alone not because of their venom but because I like them. If they were not hot I’d like them the same maybe even more because I wouldn’t have had to go through all the safety protocols.

I like (currently don’t keep) the hot species I like because I like them, lol simple as that really. Any substitute was not sufficient just like when they changed the Becky actors in Rosanne or the Darrens in Bewitched. When people say just keep the non venomous look alike its like saying, “Oh you really like crested geckos cool but they are deadly why not try a leaf tail gecko they are similar.” Yeah...just not the same for me :-)

Still, I agree with everyone’s liability and safety concerns fully. Sadly most (not all) private hot keepers Ive known and have witnessed over the last 18 years of my observing have been undertrained, under experienced, and slightly egotistical which is a dangerous combination.

-TC
Former AZA Zookeeper & University Venomous Lab Keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
Donald C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
I don’t mean younger people selling them. I’m talking about the younger inexperienced buying. I too see at expos the older generation selling. I do think that people should be IDed before buying venomous snakes like alcohol. I mean no offense to the responsible younger generation. I graduate you for your success. I my self would not be able to do this.
I'm not going to say that what you are describing doesn't happen, since I know it does (never seen it personally). Personally, I feel that, if you are vending, the first questions asked should be ID and experience, with a close follow-up of references. That would help ensure that those interested in keeping actually get a mentor and actually learn how to work hots instead of jumping right in.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #23
Roscoe09
Let me re-explain. I do see predominantly older generations sell them. I do realize they’re younger people you sell them as well. I’m just saying a lot of hot accidents seem to the ignorance of younger generations. As well they’re still some of the older generations are almost ambitious as the younger having accidents as well. People should be mentored like you said similar to the poison dart frog hobby. Please ask questions if you’re not understanding what I’m getting at?

Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #24
Donald C
I apologize, I wasn't grilling you, if that's how it appeared to you. I see where you are coming from and acknowledge that there is truth in that, I'm just giving my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #25
Roscoe09
No apology needed. I’m sorry if I made you feel that way. Your comments aloud me to give more depth to my responses. I see that my comments were a bit vague. I agree with many of your statements. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #26
Roscoe09
Here’s a article: https://www.google.com/amp/myfox8.co...snakebite/amp/
18 is still a little young in my opinion. I think it’s also bad that online a ten year old (for example not real) can buy like an eyelash viper with no questions asked.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #27
Donald C
Actually, I know the guy that got bit in that article. He's come quite a way since that time, much better keeper now.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #28
Roscoe09
What hots do you keep? Did you ever vend at the Hampton Roads Expo?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #29
Roscoe09
If anyone is considering a venomous snake reads this, I really recommend not getting a vemonoid. They’re not a smart choice as a replacement hot because they can come in really bad condition.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #30
Donald C
My hots are currently with a mentor and include a 2017 C. adamanteous, a P. colletti juvenile pair, and three 2017 Heloderma h. horridum.

Since I live in an apartment, they are with my mentor. I refuse to accept the level of liability for bringing venomous into an apartment. The consequences of the unlikely escape are well beyond what I am willing to accept, as it would cause a great deal of damage to the local hobby.

I also haven't been a vendor at any show, yet. I'm trying my hand at breeding a couple animals this season. One set is pretty much guaranteed, and the other sets are a toss-up, as I got mixed info on what was needed for breeding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!