Vivofit - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Lucille
Vivofit

I'm trying to be more fit, and to help with that I just got a Vivofit.
It is very demanding, wanting me to walk all these steps and telling me how far short I've fallen from its expectations if I don't do enough steps to appease it.
There are special activity monitors for bicycling, this one just shows 'other activity' and it picks that up through the heart monitor.

There is this little deal called the ant I put in a USB port and my activity is wirelessly synced from my wristband and heart monitor into a computer info page that shows me my activity and goals.

It is really sort of fun. But I have concerns about that sort of information, especially being broadcast wirelessly.
I don't really think anyone cares about how many steps I walked today, but if these companies are keeping records, I can see a market for those records. Insurance companies. And for sure any entity paying out disability payments would pay to have such records from people who claim they cannot work, or walk, etc.
Just something to think about.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Lucille
It seems others have this concern as well:
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/12/price...od&par=xfinity

Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
LauraB
Always good to check for reviews and info before a purchase of any new-fangled electronic device I know I will have none of it for reasons of privacy invasion!

Give yourself a nice 30-minute or more walk every day, or a good 15-20 minute work out every day. You'll be fit

Old 12-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
CraftingDreams
Companies have been buying information for many many years. I have no doubt that the fancy electronics pass info on. Its why I refuse to buy my husband the xbox One. I have serious issues with that game. Bad enough the computer gives out a lot of information, and sites like and godaddy, require your full name, and any info to be accurate. UNLESS you pay a fee to block the info through Godaddy. FB has also been bad with keeping your privacy settings private.. the part where it tells people where you logged in from, really bothers me...

the WWW has become a cluster of personal information just waiting to be used by companies to solicit people.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
sschind
Yeah, those darn websites that require you to use your full name. Grrrrr....

Old 12-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #6
CraftingDreams
lol...wasn't thinking this one.. this one goes through steps as much as they can to make sure those who register are listed.. so we all know each others names. Places like FB, anyone can open an account, multiple accounts even, and pull all sorts of info.

Also, sites like FB, myspace, and such.. all show on a list when you search someone in people directories, etc. (yes I did a search on myself.. doesn't everyone? LOL)

cant do anything anymore without having to give up privacy.. I don't mind much for this site.. it seems a bit more secure then those others.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!