Getting the ball python to feed... Ugh... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
killmequik
Getting the ball python to feed... Ugh...

Alright, I know this may be a pretty common thread on here, but I really don't feel like digging around to find one. Just got my het pied female in on Tuesday, tried feeding her then, f/t hopper, didn't take it. Emailed the breeder (underground reptiles), they said they were feeding live hoppers. Ok. Went out and got a hopper today, live. Put it in the bucket and then placed the snake in there with it. One eternity later she hadn't eaten. So then I put the two together in the cage. Still didn't eat. My other snake had just eaten, so I killed the hopper and froze him, saving him for later use. About ten minutes ago, after having left all the lights off in my room, putting a bunch of stuff in the tub for her to hide in, and shading the enclosure to stimulate a nice, cozy, nighttime environment. Then I tried again, with the prekilled hopper (knowing that some ball pythons can be exclusive nighttime feeders) still didn't take. I am sufficiently confused at this point and am very curious and somewhat concerned as to why she won't eat.

What do you guys think? Just a shy snake or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
hhmoore
You're doing some things wrong.
And you're right...it's a common topic - one that has been addressed many times. Since you don't feel like looking, I won't feel bad about saying I don't feel like typing it all out again for you.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
hhmoore
For starters, you haven't given any information about your setup, and that is always the first place to start.
Never expect a BP to eat the day you receive it. Some do, and that's a bonus, but it's often just a waste of food (did you even know, at that time, when it had fed last?).
Attempting too often.
Not letting the snake acclimate.
Ignoring information (if you are told the snake was eating live, why go right back to dead prey).
The list goes on, but you get the idea...

Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
gsrept
if you touch pick up or move the baby before you try to feed, they will not eat. what are you using for a enclousure?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
FireStorm
Harald and Craig are right. Assuming your setup is ok, wait a week and offer a live hopper in her enclosure at night. I usually put the hopper in and walk away for 15min or so since some babies are shy.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
P&A Pythons
If she don't take wait 5 days try again. Repeat every 5 days. Try to feed at night wait till sun sets for an hr or 2 then try. If that don't work try baby rat. You gotta make sure she has hot and cool side and hides in both spots. Her enclosure should not be near constant traffic. Temps and humidity gotta be close. 82 cool side 90 hot side. Min 50 percent humidity but not more than 75 80%

Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
killmequik
RE:

At the moment I'm using a 15 quart tub, until she gets a bit bigger, then I will move her to a CB-70. Hot side is at 91, cool at 82. Plenty of places to hide, and the humidity is at 66%. And no, I haven't been handling her. Acclimation was one thing that came to mind when I was writing my previous post, and thank you for your advice, even if rather blunt, I'm happy to get it and do appreciate it.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
killmequik
Ate

did everything you guys told me, she ate tonight, right away!

Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
P&A Pythons
That's good to hear.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, feeding, not eating