Spring is Coming! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Blackboxstar
Spring is Coming!

What's everyone excited for this year?

I've got veggies galore, new blueberry bushes, orange and red roses, and of course the bog garden full of carnivorous plants.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
WebSlave
Yeah, I think Spring has sprung around here. Connie and I have put in the following fruit trees lately: peach, pear, Asian pear, apple, and cherry. Multiple varieties of each. Also put in some almond trees. Connie just started her garden and I am making another stab at watermelons. I did REALLY lousy with them last year, so hopefully I'll do better this year.

Anyway, the peaches and apples put out flowers already and some are already developing fruit. The Asian pears and almonds are being slow about breaking dormancy. The regular pear trees are just now starting to put out flowers. Had to put out my "water defense mechanism" as the deer were already coming around chewing off the leaves on the apple trees.

Anyway, here's a few pics of flowers I took last week.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
WebSlave
And a few more pics of the little apples and peaches developing.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Focal
I don't think I'll be doing a garden this year. I went all out last year and had very, very little production for all the work. I may just do some potted tomato plants and peppers.

I had about 30 japanese maples seedlings going. They all died. I was looking at a few apple and peach trees yesterday that were well started but I decided it's better to wait until the next house.

I've been trying the avocado thing, also not working as planned so I may scrap that project. I think I just need to stick to snakes haha.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
I don't think I'll be doing a garden this year. I went all out last year and had very, very little production for all the work. I may just do some potted tomato plants and peppers.

I had about 30 japanese maples seedlings going. They all died. I was looking at a few apple and peach trees yesterday that were well started but I decided it's better to wait until the next house.

I've been trying the avocado thing, also not working as planned so I may scrap that project. I think I just need to stick to snakes haha.
This is a very good point. I hear of a lot of people stocking up on seeds thinking they will have them in a worst case scenario to grow their own food. Well, farming isn't as easy as one might think. I strongly suggest that anyone thinking along these lines plant stuff NOW and learn the ropes while you can look at it as just a hobby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!