Lanka wont eat, russian tortoise please help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Lank
Lanka wont eat, russian tortoise please help

I bought a russian tortoise from my local pet store, a week ago tomorrow. I named him lanka meaning long strait and limp because once i set him on the floor he would just keep walking untill he hit my wall then turn around and walk back.

Well. he wont eat and ive read through alot of website some of the stuff is conflicting on diet soem sugguest cabbage some dont. Read books, i have an aqaurium cage(not sugguested) that im looking to change but its at a constant 81-5 unless i turn off the lamp which then it drops to around 73 degress which is there sleeping temperature. I have the uva and uvb light to emulate sun. I gave him a place to burrow with coverage and basking hill a little water dish because the larger one was getting to dirty. I bath him every 2 days or so, i dont know how long turtles go with out food but i never see him eat.

I went out to my local organic store today this is what i bought:
Radiccio
Purple Kale
Endive
Escarole
Red and green leef
romaine lettuce

I was offering him red and purple lettuce it wasnt ice burg though. Im really concerned, and i cant take him to the vet till monday be cause thats when i get payed please help.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
Tortoiselov
You need to take him to the vet as soon as possible as i'm sure he's an imported tortoise and most likely has parasites would would make him not want to eat. He could also be trying to hibernate as this is the right time of year for that. Either way he needs to see a vet and have a fecal done to see if he has parasites. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Jan Orcutt
I also recommend taking him to a vet, preferably one with turtle/tortoise experience or at least with reptiles.

How large is the tank? Is the tank large enough to provide a temperature gradient from the basking end (should be about 90*) to the cool end (in the 70s)? At night, 60s to 70s is ok unless he's sick, which he might be. What are you using for substrate?

Cabbage and kale aren't good choices because they affect the body's ability to process calcium. The best discussion of Russian tortoise diet is at russiantortoise.org and is well worth reading and printing a hard copy.

Good luck and let us know how he does.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
Lank
THe aquarium take im using is a 30 galloon tank, im taking him to the vet today. I didnt clean out the take when bleach before i put him i just cleaned with water which could be a reason. The temperature usually rages, right now its at 82 and i just put a mor food with clacium and vitamin d in. Hopefully all will be worked out by the end of today. Im going to go through out the ugly purple kale i bought him though. Right now he's under the heating lamp on the basking hill it's obvious my tanks way to small though.

My friend told me to feed him brocali and carrots?

THanks guys, ill get back to you guys once i have an idea of the actual problem.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Lank
hey and also what about wheat grass? is that ok?

Old 12-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Lank
I took him to the vet yesterday, the shell rot must have been from shipping, most likely imported. The doctor said he was fine they found one egg of a parasite, and gave him some meds for that. Lanka hates opening his mouth for anything even when the doctor was trying to check if their was any problems inside. His breathing fine and has isnt deprived or over exposed to uva or uvb. It's hibirnation season so im just going to let him sleep alot, and wake him up for some exercise now and then. As far as his eating habits im going to decrease the amount of food so i can notice if he eats. The temperature in the cage i have now is 90 now, and i feel that all is good.

Ill get back to you guys in a while with some pictures thanks for the help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!