Got Mites? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Griz
Got Mites?

Hey, guys. I posted a few weeks back about my new female soaking quite a bit. Well, she did that for a day or two and then stopped so I assumed it was simply a wierd thing that I would watch. Well, I just moved her out of quarantine and found quite a few mites on the hide. I have never dealt with mites before so need some advice.

I just cleaned the entire cage in bleach/water combo. I did not keep much of any furniture in there however it is being washed as we speak. I have been told to run to Walmart and buy Repel with permethrine and use it. Do you advise this treatment or is there a better way?

I am going to soak her in warm soapy water tonight but want to make sure I nip this in the bud before it has a chance to spread to the rest of my animals. Thanks!

Bob

Old 06-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Scott Nellis
Talking Forget WalMart

Forget WalMart and run out to PetCo/PetSmart or your local reptile pet store and get some Reptile Relief. It works very well!!! Just follow the directions on the bottle. It kills mites almost on contact by dehydrating them.

Scott Nellis

Old 06-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
DThomas
Permethrine works well. I use the Walgreens brand of 1% cream. It is $15 for 2 two oz bottles. You mix one 2oz bottle in one gallon of distilled water. Then just pour the mixture into a spray bottle. You can directly spray the animal and make sure you coat the entire enclosure, inside and out. Usually one treatment is enough as this stuff continues to kill after it has dried. I use it now preventatively every couple of cleanings. I have had no problems using on my very young to adult boas. The mites hate it though....

Old 06-30-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
Lucille
I am not sure if they have them everywhere but here in Texas we have 'feed stores' where farmers and horse and cattle owners can buy feed and supplies. I recently bought a pint of 10% permethrin at a feed store for I think twelve or thirteen bucks; I use a spray container to dilute it out, as one pint will make a LOT of spray.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Cat_72
Lucille....what ratio do you use with the 10% spray? I've thought about using that, but wasn't certain exactly how to mix it. I use it with my horses, so it'd be convenient.

Never had mites here (knock on wood) but it can't hurt to think about preventive maintenance!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Bill_Leverton
Cat its 59ml or 2ozs to 1 Gallon of distilled water

Old 06-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Cat_72
Thank you!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
snakehorse
hey, are snake mites the same type of mites that people get on their scalps? can people get mites from snakes and vice versa?
Donna

Old 06-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
snakehorse
oh yeah, lice

oh yeah, I guess those would be people lice...same question applies.
D

Old 06-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehorse
hey, are snake mites the same type of mites that people get on their scalps? can people get mites from snakes and vice versa?
Donna
No they aren't the same but the same method is used to kill both

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!