BAD DAY with a tiny upside - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
perefalcon
BAD DAY with a tiny upside

Well, today was deffinately one of the worst I ahve ever experianced. We ended up going on an emergency visit to the vet, my German Shepherd, Jerry Lee, that I posted that pic of a few threads back, went through my bedroom window and cut his legs up real bad. IF he had been human it was the equivelent of a deep sliced wrist. I came home before I went to work feeling that I had to go home, walked into the house and immediately saw a huge puddle of blood on the floor next to the door. I followed the trail into the bedroom and saw the broken glass. Jerry was the only one loose, Blaise was in her cage so she could rest (puppies are due next month) I ran into the living room and Jerry was laying on the floor with blood pouring out. I grabbed him trying to find where the cut was and when I came to his paw, my finger slipped right into the cut, it was that deep. Well, solid person that I am, I freaked out and ran into the hall and screamed for my tenant Brandon...he used to be an EMT...logical choice, well he wasn't home but everyone else heard me and came running. they helped me hold Jerry down and wrap his foot, called my work and Rob's work and the vet. Rob came screaming home in 5 minutes, my boss was slightly ticked at me for having to call in on a friday ( I work at Long John Silvers and it's Lent).
So we took the dog to the vet they canceled everything else for the day to do emergency surgery that took 3 hours, mostly to sew up sliced blood vessels and tendons....yeah he sliced those too, we don't think he's gonna run again, at least for a while. We're picking him up some time tomorrow, and it's going to run well over $200 which I already gave the vet. So everyone please keep Jerry in your thoughts and hopefully he'll still be the dog that he always has been.

It seems that just when you get a chance to save money, there's no one better at spending it than your animals

He went through surgery great though so we're hoping for the best, and the only thing that would be a consolation to Rob if something still happens to Jerry, is that Jerry's puppies are due next month and we would deffinately keep one.

On a brighter note, Aaliyah did lay her third clutch, 2 eggs, hopefully they are also fertile cause those will probably be the first ones that I sell.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
The NY Gecko
poor lil doggie. dogs are my favorite of the "furry cuddly pets" it stinks to have your dog go thru something tragic like that. i hope he gets to chase some more tennis balls soon. assuming of course you have the mandatory doggie tennis ball tube in the closet... i know that everybody i know with dogs has a tennis ball tube that can be found at any one time. seems like that dog tradition thing eh?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
Tonya, I really hope that Jerry Lee pulls through ok. I'm sure that he'll be up and running again in no time.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
perefalcon
no not tennis balls, he has his big furry ball, he'll only play with that, he's quite picky. We steered clear of the tennis balls, ever since Rob threw one and my female Blaise grabbed him by the "hemipenes" and punctured one......LOL

Old 03-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
The NY Gecko
oh my dear lord! is he ok? god, doggy got too friendly it seems

Old 03-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
perefalcon
it was when Blaise was a puppy, but it was kinda funny, there was quite the hole

Right now I'm trying to "drown my sorrows" it's been a while since I drank anything so a small beer is quite the kick arty:

Old 03-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
hhmoore
Well, I, for one, don't drink nearly as much as I think I should...so have one for me,too
On a more serious note - I hope the vet did a good job and that Jerry comes through ok. I know how much of a mess I would be if anything happened to one of my dogs (I'm great under stress, though, so I could hold it together til things were out of my hands)

Old 03-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #8
JBrune
Pullin for Jerry

Hope all works out. My GSD died suddenly 3 yrs ago at 10 yrs old. I am just getting over it and to the point of getting a new one. Crazy how these guys can impact our lives. We plan on an adult rescue this time as my 2 older dogs probably won't tolerate a new pup. Good luck on the coming litter as well.
Joyce

Old 03-11-2006, 01:36 AM   #9
perefalcon
thanx everyone, this vet is definately one I trust, he was the first one in my mind when it happened

Old 03-11-2006, 01:36 AM   #10
BalloonzForU
Tonya,

I'll keep Jerry Lee in my prayers for you. Poor thing, but it's a good thing you walked in when you did. Scary how much our animal friends mean as much if not more, sometimes, to us than humans. Let us know how he's doing when you get a chance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!