Aspen shavings vs Carefresh as substrate? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
~Just Curious~
Question Aspen shavings vs Carefresh as substrate?

Pretty straight foward question: Which would be better?
It would be used in display cages holding pacific gopher snakes and woma pythons. I want to keep the tanks low humidity. Also I haven't seen it yet, but I think my gophers might want to burrow.

Currently I use aspen shavings without any problem, but I just noticed that carefresh is much cheaper and I remember hearing some people say they used it as substrate...

What do you guys think?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
bwt501
I currently use carefresh for my womas. works great, very absorbent, they've been breeding on it as well. I find the pricing just the opposite though. Aspen is much cheaper than carefresh my way.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Vic Herrick
CareFresh vs. Aspen

I use both, and coconut coire also. Each has advantages, and I like Aspen for burrowers especially. Aspen looks nice, it can be packed and sort of hold a burrow shape. However, it is indeed expensive.

CareFresh is great if you want minimal humidity. It is drying, it will dehydrate some snakes, i.e. Lampropeltis, so be cautious of that. Highly variable I am sure depending on ambient humidity etc., but in general, it sucks the moisture. I use it with good results wth E. johnii sand boas. I have used it a lot, but I provide a humidity box/shelter hide for snakes to give them a choice and an escape from the CareFresh dryness. Simply a plastic box with some vermiculite/moss/potting soil mix which I keep slightly damp to offer humid shelter during shedding etc.

Both products are easy to dispose of, and CareFresh will dry out defecations quickly, so it may help reduce odors etc. As I said, I use both, CareFresh for the driest environment, and Aspen for others. For high humidity, I like the coconut coire (ground up coconut husks). And for my high metabolism Indigos, I use newsprint.

good luck, Vic

Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Thank you guys!
My gophers are burrowing really good in the aspen and my humidity's fine as is. I think I'll stick to aspen, if it's not broke don't fix it and all that.

It's nice to know that about carefresh though, if I ever get a real low humidity herp I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks again~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!