Immediate help needed! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #1
Pacrun1593
Immediate help needed!

I got new, young stick insects yesterday (Phaenopharos khaoyaiensis) and put them in a large terrarium with coconut coir and sand as the floor. They have a lot of space to move around, I gave them food as soon as I put them into their new home and misted the enclosure a couple of times with rain water. They are at room temperature. One of them started to molt straight away. Yesterday evening, I noticed that all of them are hanging upside down, and some even on 1 leg, so I thought they all must be preparing to molt. This morning (around 30 mins ago) I go to check up on them, and I was shocked to see that even 20 hours later, the one that started to molt straight away has not finished yet, having its middle and front legs stuck. None of them have molted, yet all but 2 have dropped to the ground. They have their limbs curled towards their body now, similar to how a dead spider curls his when he dies, though there is still a bit of movement. I am pretty sure they are dying. It might be because there is a smell from the bottle I used to spray them. The smell is the residue (though I tried to clean it many times) of aphids spray, which was made from natural ingredients. I also use this exact bottle to mist my nepenthes. It doesn't harm the plants (which are pretty sensitive to chemicals), so I thought it would be safe to use on the stick insect enclosure aswell.

Is there any way I could save them?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
If you used an insecticide bottle (natural or otherwise, cleaned out or not) to spray them, there probably isn't anything you can do.

In the future, consider using a new bottle that you use only for misting water for the animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!