Anyone have any ideas? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
rin0425
Anyone have any ideas?

Hey guys,
I just got my first corn snake...well sort of...
I am a Licensed Vet Tech at an exotics practice near Seattle and my boss got a bunch of snakes at the reptile show a few months ago. He gave me one for Christmas this year...its called a "Cornson". Its a Corn/Nelson's Milk hybrid...but thats all I know about her. Does anyone have any deas on what her morph(s) may be? Ive done some searching and she kind resembles a fluorescent or albino or something.
Also...she needs a name...
Ive been thinking Pandora or Ruby...any suggestions??
Aaron
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Southern Wolf
Check out the reverse okeetee's as well.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rin0425 View Post
Hey guys,
I am a Licensed Vet Tech at an exotics practice near Seattle and my boss got a bunch of snakes at the reptile show a few months ago. He gave me one for Christmas this year...its called a "Cornson". Its a Corn/Nelson's Milk hybrid...but thats all I know about her. Does anyone have any deas on what her morph(s) may be? Ive done some searching and she kind resembles a fluorescent or albino or something.
Aaron
There is no other identifying label that needs to be applied to this animal other than "Corn/Nelson's Milk hybrid". Please don't just apply a morph name to it that it may look like, as some people would be highly upset to wind up with a hybrid when they thought they were getting a "pure" corn snake. Many people really don't have a problem with the hybrids, it's just when the true identity gets lost when passed on to someone else that things start getting people upset.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
bddavis79
dont be such a prude. dude already acknowledged that the snake "resembled a flourescent or albino". he's looking for a proper name for the animal in question....like janet, erica......get it?......im sure he's not looking to corner the breeding market with his little cornson i get worn thin over some of you attacking the little guy so much. give him a chance to learn. you were not exactly being rude, but does this topic have to come up EVERY SINGLE TIME?......id name it Taffy.....or is that taken by the purists too? Go on brother.....name her what you want to.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rin0425 View Post
Hey guys,
Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by bddavis79 View Post
dont be such a prude. dude already acknowledged that the snake "resembled a flourescent or albino". he's looking for a proper name for the animal in question....like janet, erica......get it?......im sure he's not looking to corner the breeding market with his little cornson i get worn thin over some of you attacking the little guy so much. give him a chance to learn. you were not exactly being rude, but does this topic have to come up EVERY SINGLE TIME?......id name it Taffy.....or is that taken by the purists too? Go on brother.....name her what you want to.
FAIL on reading comprehension skills. I highlighted the pertinent text in the original quote that I was addressing.

And how, pray tell, does my response make me a "prude"?

And furthermore, how did you interpret my reply as an "attack"?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
bddavis79
my point was that the guy was attempting to get some insight on what type of genetics the snake may have, while simultaneously asking for ideas on what to name the snake. he did refer to the snake as a "her" so i assumed that the somewhat feminine names that he came up with--pandora and ruby, were not an attempt to name a new cornson morph but proper names. i assumed that you were just kind of ribbing him a little because he was using some very familiar morph names for his animals proper name. evidently, i misunderstood your post. i was not neccessarily referring to you when i mentioned "attacking", because i did add that you were "not exactly being rude".......my apologies for the misunderstanding......and the abrasiveness.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
D. Mong
As Rich pointed out, it is an amelanistic(albino) cornsnake x amelanistic(albino) Nelson's milksnake hybrid.

The amelanistic gene is passed on from both parents, thus producing the amel hybrid you have.

~Doug

Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
D. Mong
Hmmm, but what I find extremely odd after looking at the photo again, is the fact that it has a thin, very distinct "V" shaped snout band. That is a typical meristic chararacteristic of the Honduran milksnake and several other Latin American subspecies of milksnakes. Nelsons milksnakes(from western Mexico) never display a "V" shape snout band whatsoever, and are solid black, mottled with light pigment flecking, or sometimes entirely all white/yellow. Anything is possible with bizarre patterning of hybrids, but I would try to double check if it really isn't a Honduran milksnake cross instead of a Nelson's. Albino's of both subspecies are quite common in the hobby, so it is possible it could be either. But the typical Honduran characteristic of the snout makes me wonder. I have bred all these types and many countless other snakes for decades is why I am saying this in the first place.

~Doug

Albino Honduran milksnake......

another bicolored tangerine albino Honduran milk........

Stuart's milksnake(very similar to a Honduran milk).......

Normal Honduran milksnake.........

normal Nelson's milksnake............

another normal nelsoni..........

an albino nelsoni...........

albino cornsnake.........

Normal cornsnake....note the head "chevroning" faces the opposit way as the "V" shaped snout bands in the Hondurans. The "V" on your snake's snout is no doubt from the milksnake influence that I am talking about, but it's only typical of Hondurans, not Nelson's.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!