Information Sources - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-21-2002, 04:48 PM   #1
jdg
Question Information Sources

I am coming into possession of a young iguana in the near future and am in search of information. Of course, Melissa Kaplan's site seems to be the biggest and most accessible, but I've heard quite a few criticisms of her views and her site on these forums. Can anyone point me to alternative sources of reliable information on green iguana care? Or can anyone tell me exactly which pieces of information are contested so I know to what extent I can rely on her information?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
Stardust
I am still learning about iguanas as well, but if you have any questions that I can answer I would be more than happy too..

Rozann Lamont

Old 01-09-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Tony
Post your questions on this forum. I am sure there are many people that are willing to help out. I have been dealing with all types of reptiles including iguanas for about 8 years.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Old 01-11-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
jdg
I would like to thank the two of you for your offers of help!

I think my current small menagerie does not lend itself to me taking on an animal right now that requires as much regular attention as an iguana - the other critters might feel slighted! So I'm going to keep on doing research for a while (I know there are a number of good books out there) so that I'll feel more prepared in the future if I decide on an iguana

Old 01-11-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Seamus Haley
Out of all the web based informational sources, I personally like http://www.iguanaden.com for some decent and well evidenced facts. I would never recommend a single web resource as a lone source of information though.

Some of the best information I have ever gotten on iguanas came from the man who's book I quote in my signature, despite writing mostly about ants, termites and baboon troops in most of his work, the principles that Edward Wilson puts forth are of great value with any given organism you may try to keep. The understanding of the genetic basis for behavior allows you to avoid anything that says you can "train" or "tame" iguanas though. If the person writing the information fails in that basic biological principle, the remainder of their information becomes highly suspect.

I normally try to avoid iguanas, iguana related message boards and iguana owners, it's an enormous stereotype on my part but I find most of them to be among the most ignorant of reptile owners, to the point where my palms itch and I grind my teeth to nothing as they speak...

But this is a new message board, a new group of people who have shown themselves to be both educated and willing to learn what they are naive about (as I am) so I'm willing to answer iguana related questions as well.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
CheriS
Seamus, good that you would never recommend just one source for information, that is a very smart acknowledgment and I think most pet owners do go to several sources and weight each one.

If I remember correctly the one you cited is also one that several acknowledged expects in the field published a lengthy report on questioning his statements and presentations as they were concerned that others were being mislead by them to the detriment of iguana's
http://www.netwiz.net/~altab/

Its a long report, but I think clearly sets the facts out.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
CheriS
Correction to link...

http://www.netwiz.net/~altab/

Old 01-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #8
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
JDG,

definitely good to see you're going to do more research BEFORE you purchase that cute little green monster There are TOO many people out there that got into the iguana arena without having a clue what they were getting into(I did with my first one 11 years ago...geesh has it been THAT long? ). Glad to see you're doing it right

I will be glad to offer any assistance that I can, however I am a tad bit rusty in my Green Iguana specifics since I haven't had one for a few years now, but you are definitely welcome to pick whatever is left rattling in my brain should you ever need to(just be sure to leave the marble that tells where I left my keys, ok? ). I will tell you there are a couple of good books out there as you already seem to know. James Hatfield's Iguana Manual is in my opinion by far THE BEST information out there, PERIOD. I have read numerous iguana books and NOTHING can compare in my opinion. I also have a book called Iguana Iguana(author escapes me) that is pretty decent, but I don't know if it is still in print anymore. Some of the information is a little outdated I'm sure, but overall I feel it is a good care book. I admittedly haven't read the Iguanas for Dummies book that Melissa Kaplan put out. But I have read alot of the iguana info on her website, and from what I understand it is pretty much the same as the book. Her iguana info is overall pretty good, but I have a total disagreement with her politics and most of the care information she gives out on other species of herps. There was even a surprisingly good video on Green Iguana maintenance and breeding a few years back, but honestly I cannot remember who put it out(I think Zoomed, but probably wrong).

Anyway, best of luck on your research!!!

PS If you HAVE to buy an iguana, might I suggest a Cuban or a Rhino? I just like them better than Greens heeeheee

Old 01-13-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Cheri, while I respect and even admire a few of the people who headed that page and made those determinations, it is of note that the page was written specifically because Kevin Eagan was going after Kaplan and Henry Lizardlover on some of the old alt.pets type message boards.

If you peruse through the names at the top, you will find most of them have either participated in commercial projects with Kaplan or are known personal friends of hers.

Now THAT was a flame war with the assorted factions going back and forth accusing one another of outright animal abuse and insulting one another's families.

Old 01-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
CheriS
That makes about ZERO sense... but your entitled to read whatever you want into something

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!