bearded dragon with mites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
jjdragons
Exclamation bearded dragon with mites

just discovered 2 of my dragons have little red mites all oevr them.......already bleached their enclosures and thoroughly cleaned everything in them.....does any one have any advice for how to kill the mites that are on them? bought some natural chemistry reptile spray to kill them but used it once and it doesnt seem to be doing anything?!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
RogerProws
Good soaks can kill most adult mites.

Also, use a good mite spray such as provent-a-mite on the cage and cage furniture (as well as outside the cage). This will stop them from coming back

Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
The brands of mite spray you will find in pet stores do not work. They only thing they will do is drown the mites, which can be done by soaking the reptile.

Generally I suggest the Nix Mite Treatment, but I am unfamiliar with its usage on lizards. Nix actually kills the eggs of the mites which no other mite treatment does.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Olexian Pro
I recommend Provent-O-Mite. It is a Pyrethrin spray which targets Arthropod parasites. It is much safer to for use with reptiles than some of the other Permathrin dervatives (Make sure you read the label of the products you buy and is much easier to apply. This product cannot be applied directly to the animal.

Instead you spray the whole cage. Let it stand for 10 minutes. and replace the animal in the cage. This must be done once a week for 4-6 weeks. The life cycle of of the mite is 3 -4 weeks. I have had great success with this product and it is the easiest for you to use.

Iodine baths can dehydrate your pet and cause dysecdysis due to the astringent prooperties of iodine and plain water is not an effective treatment method for mites.

You can order this product from Beanfarm.com

Good luck

Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olexian Pro View Post
I recommend Provent-O-Mite. It is a Pyrethrin spray which targets Arthropod parasites. It is much safer to for use with reptiles than some of the other Permathrin dervatives (Make sure you read the label of the products you buy and is much easier to apply. This product cannot be applied directly to the animal.

Instead you spray the whole cage. Let it stand for 10 minutes. and replace the animal in the cage. This must be done once a week for 4-6 weeks. The life cycle of of the mite is 3 -4 weeks. I have had great success with this product and it is the easiest for you to use.

Iodine baths can dehydrate your pet and cause dysecdysis due to the astringent prooperties of iodine and plain water is not an effective treatment method for mites.

You can order this product from Beanfarm.com

Good luck
I totally agree. I have used nothing but Provent A Mite since getting into BPs have not had a case of Mites/Ticks yet. I also use it as a preventive measure by pre-treating the substrate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!