Please help - diagnosis mouth rot? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Helenthereef
Question Please help - diagnosis mouth rot?

I'm overseas with no herp vet available, I've inherited a small male Fiji boa (Candoia bibroni bibroni) with a mouth problem, and I'd really appreciate some help with diagnosis / appropriate treatment advice. Some pictures at the end of this.

It might just be an old rub wound, or maybe mouth rot (which I have never seen). There is definite damage, scarring and missing scales on his right upper lip, and what may be inflammation or rub damage to existing scales around the damaged area. His mouth shape is lopsided and his mouth opens a little crookedly. Once his mouth is open I see no inflammation or damage inside his mouth. He doesn't blow bubbles or have any other obvious symptoms.

I've known this snake since January 2009. His last owner says he was eating (f/t geckos) voluntarily, but infrequently. He's smaller than other males of his approximate age. I think he's around 3 - 4 years old - he's about 70cm long and 120gm when others of his species are 80 - 100 cm long and 200 gms.

I got him in July, and he has NEVER shown ANY interest in food since then. I have force fed him f/t geckos twice since then, and on the second feeding he started to voluntarily move his jaws in a regular feeding motion. Photos show no apparent change to the extent of this injury since I got him.

This is his native country, so I am not using heating or misting. He (and 8 other of this species) are kept in an open-air enclosure at his natural temperature and humidity. I don't have any similar problems with any of the others.

He's in quarantine and I want to add him to the main area. Obviously if this is something infectious I'm not going to do that, and I'd want to treat him (I'd have to use available human or cat/dogs meds). ANY opinions or advice would be really welcome.

Many thanks!
Helen

Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
singingtothewheat
Wow, I think I'd really try to find a herp vet. If you from the states and you had a herp vet, then try contacting them for some sort of help. That looks pretty bad. I have heard that cleaning with 1:1 hydrogen peroxide and sterile water is helpful. Or dilute betadine but I really think you need a systemic medication for that

Old 01-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
Helenthereef
Yeah, would love to consult herp vet, but I'm in Fiji, and it simply isn't an option. Can, and will, do betadine bath easily, but if this IS an infection it's very slow moving (like no change in 6 months)

Old 01-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
Helenthereef
BTW,
Thanks for response !
Helen

Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
Twizted Paths
Do you guys have neosporin (without pain relief)? You could use it on the outside to help aid healing, minimize scarring and stop any surface infection.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
Helenthereef
I have neosporin as an antibiotic cream, I have antibiotic powder, and can get oral antibiotics from my sympathetic GP if I can work out dosage - does this look like mouth rot? And if so is it bacterial or fungal? (I have read conflicting accounts)

Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
singingtothewheat
I normally would not give this sort of advise but if there are no rep vets in fuji... I would look online for a vet to give you their feelings on the infections. Then I'd start looking for a way to get the medication to treat it. There is something going on there. I think probably a long term ruminating bacterial infection.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
singingtothewheat
the only other thing I can think it would be is some sort of a carcinoma

Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Helenthereef
I'm willing to try anything that doesn't hurt him or alienate him unnecessarily - he already doesn't love me much for the force feeding!

Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
Helenthereef
I don't see any evidence of a mass or growth that would suggest carcinoma, and there is no apparent injury inside the mouth (at this juncture I should add that I used to be an animal technician, but with mammals not reptiles). I'm not familiar with the potential timescale of reptilian infections. I appreciate that ideally we'd swab for infecting organisms, but I don't think I'd get doctors to take this seriously here.

I know I am going to make vets cringe, but in past situations I have dosed with oral antibiotics scaled down by volume /weight from the human dose suspended in water or egg yolk without any apparent ill effects. (I do have animal experience and common sense.)

I'm hoping that someone can advise me on this instead of my shooting in the dark. This snake has survived whatever this is for at least 12 months now, so it's not an immediate emergency, but I'd like to make him more comfortable and get him eating without force.

Thanks to both of you for responses so far

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!