Good news and bad news? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
AK907
Good news and bad news?

We picked up a small female snow corn here recently in trade. She is about two years old we were told and was around the 200 gram mark when we got her. We have had her for a month and a half and she is now 247 grams as of last night. She has been housed in her own tub in quarantine since the day we got her. So far she is extremely healthy.

The problem... She is loaded with eggs! No doubts there. You can feel them, at least 8. She started showing big time this past week. My only guess is that she either stored the sperm from the previous owner or she is just laying duds. So far she seems like she is doing good, good weight, eats like a horse and is active. I hope she doesn't become egg bound. If so at least we know a couple good vets. This was rather unexpected.

Anyone had any corns this small breed? What was the outcome? I know its bound to have happened before, especially in nature, but I have been unsuccessful in finding much info online other than normal care sheets and a few people who use the rule of 3's method (3 years, 3ft and 300 grams) as a minimum.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
annmikeal
She looks to me like she would be fine with passing the eggs. Give her a nest box and see what happens... Good Luck

Old 05-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
AK907
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmikeal View Post
She looks to me like she would be fine with passing the eggs. Give her a nest box and see what happens... Good Luck
Yup, I'm treating her just like my bigger females so far. If she lays good eggs, I wonder what I'll get? It'll be just like Christmas morning!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
garweft
I haven't bred any that small, but I do know others that have. Your plan is right on, treat her just like the other girls. Once she has her pre-lay shed give her a nest box and some quite and she should be fine.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
AK907
Thanks! Thats a load off my shoulders. I've been worried about her since she isn't even half the weight of my next smallest adult female. I built her a hide last night out of an extra 2.2qt tub I had. Covered it in duct tape and cut a hole in it.

Also, I talked with her previous owners. Apparently her and a bunch of others were housed with an older anery male. Sc0r3! Hopefully he was het for amel too!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
AK907
UPDATE!!!

She laid her eggs tonight. No pre-lay shed or anything. 6 eggs. A little off from my guess of 8, but I'm no good at palpatating. They are small, a little smaller than my thumb. I candled each as I put them in my incubator and so far they all look fertile. I'll check again a few days to be sure. Guess time will tell. The female is doing fine too. Giving her a little alone time right now. She has earned it! Wish us luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
Crazy-Rat-Lady
You mean my guess of 8 lol

Love you hubby

Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
annmikeal
Cant wait to see what "presents" pop out of them

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!