Corn Snake Care Please Help!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
leboshade
Corn Snake Care Please Help!!!!

Whats up guys I just got my first corn snake and she is beautiful it s a Ultramel Motley!!!!! She is about 20 inches long! They told me she is a year old or maybe less.

My question is if I have all the right stuff it needs.
Here is a list of what he told me I needed so I bought it
1. 8.5 heat lamp with a 50 watt incandescent light
2. UV light dome with a repti glo 5.0 UVB 26w
3. zilla bark blend premium reptile bedding and litter
4. water dish
5. A hide on the warm side

Please tell me if this is all I need and I know most people say that corn snakes dont need uvb light, but is providing one good or bad for her.
Also I wanted to get an undertank heat pad and he told me no it is not necessary.

Please help I want the best for my little girl!!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
WingedSweetheart
You can use a heat lamp but UTH is usually recommended. Use a red or blue bulb. They do not like bright light.

Corn snakes are nocturnal and do not need UVB. I have no idea if it will hurt them or not. I've never used it.

I don't know what zilla bark blend is. But usually anything except for pine, cedar or sand is good. A lot of people use aspen. I use Eco Earth coconut fibers. News paper and paper towels work too.

The snake will neat at least 2 hides. One for the cool side and one for the warm side.

The snake will need a water bowl. Put it on the cool side or in the middle. Do not put it on the warm side.

The warm side needs to be 85 degrees fahrenheit on the ground (why UTH is better). The cool side doesn't matter as much. But 75 degrees fahrenheit is suggested. Do not let the temps get below 70 or above 90 degrees.

A probe thermometer works best with a UTh (under tank heater) to measure temps on the glass under the bedding. If using a heat lamp I would get a digital thermometer and place it close to the bedding. You need to know the temp where the snake is. Not up in the air.

Humidity where you live should be fine. You can give the snake a moist hide for when he sheds. Or you can just mist the cage with water with a spray bottle a couple of times before the snake sheds.

Just in case you didn't know. Only feed your snake once every 7 days a prey item that is the same size or a little bigger than the thickest part of your snakes body. I like to feed mice. I think rat pups have too much fat.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
leboshade
Thank You very much I appreciate it!

I will get her a UTH and A probe thermometer, also should I feed her in her cage or somewhere else?
When I get her the UTH I guess I can get the lowest watt bulb just so I can see her.
Is it ok to handle her twice daily so that she can get use to being handled, I usually handle her for like 15 to 20 minutes each time I handle her but this saturday will be the first time I will feed her so I wont bother her that day and I wont bother her at least 48 hrs after feeding. Also should I feed her Saturday morning, afternoon or at night? But mainly I want to know if it is ok to feed in her cage or will that make her more aggressive?

Thank You

Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
WingedSweetheart
It's debatable. But I personally feed all my snakes in a separate container. I use sterilite boxes. I do it mainly so they don't make a mess or eat any of the bedding.

It doesn't matter what time of day you feed. But some snakes like to eat early morning or in the evenings.

If holding her twice a day doesn't stress her out then I don't think it's a problem. But young snakes tend to not like being handled too often. I'd only hold her maybe 15 mins each time.

If you get a UTH make sure to get something to control the heat (they get very hot). Like a thermostat or rheostat.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
mjones
Congrats! They really are quite easy to care of. It sounds like You r going to do just fine. I have an UTH and an overhead light... Definitely get a temp regulator for your UTH because they do get pretty hot. I feed my corns twice a week. I fees them on Tuesdays and Saturdays and I feed them usually evenings on Tuesdays and Mornings on Saturdays but your snake will have it's own preference. Definitely consider size of your snake when feeding ... I also wait 24-48 hrs after eating before handling. I also handle for only about 15-20 min at a time. My adult I handle more. You sound like u have done a fair amoun of research so you Will be just fine. Good luck and enjoy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!