Body Fluids Poll Take Two - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

View Poll Results: How unpleasant ARE you?
Disgusting! Only freaks with nasaly oriented perversions would ever open a used kleenex! 9 25.00%
I'm unable to control my obsession with viewing my own snot. Someone should start a support group. 27 75.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Seamus Haley
Body Fluids Poll Take Two

Forgot the poll options in the first post, D'oh!

I'll begin by stating that most users will want to keep their responses anonymous, by responding only to the Poll and not leaving a message... If people are brave enough to come forward with a public response attributed to their own name, then they're extremely brave souls.

Bit of a preamble... I read quite a bit and am a firm believer in the value of ALL knowledge and place research very high on my list of ways to subdue any curiosity I have about a subject. The problem is that I'm also interested in just about EVERYTHING and can easily become distracted, losing whatever my original question was and ending up with a set of answers to en entirely different subject. I also have a garbage pit mind, useless information just sits in there fermenting like a compost heap in the sun.

So I won't explain *exactly* how I got from the topic of "How constriction can enhance the effects of envenomation" (Seriously the topic I started with, I know how it works but needed specific lab results for a conversation I was having with a buddy to prove my arguments) to the subject of Victorian Etiquette manuals. There was a logical and clear cut series of linked and related topics in between, I swear.

Anyway... I ended up reading selected quotes from a book that was written to teach children how to behave in polite (to the point of masochistic obsession) society... One of the quotes I ended up reading pertained to how to go about performing certain bodily functions in public... Cover your mouth when you yawn, don't belch (explode instead), turn away from other people when sneezing or blwoing your nose... all pretty straightforward stuff BUT... It also stated something to the effect of "Don't open your hankercheif and view the contents as if diamonds and rubies may have fallen from your head" which I have to say, made me laugh until I thought about it seriously for a moment.

I do this... It's nasty and disgusting and now everyone knows it but I'm going to stand up and admit it... When I blow my nose, I then look at the contents of the kleenex. I can't say exactly what it is I'm looking for, but I do it every time, without thinking. Same for removing bandaids (usually from bites), I take a moment for personal reflection on the nastiness that I had been leaking. Now what I'm wondering is... is this some sort of terrible bad habit or is it simply human nature and an automatic reaction? Despite the truly dedicated efforts of my parents (I put them through absolute hell, I'm sure of it) am I simply not fit for victorian society or is there something in the human genome which says "Hey check out the semisolids!"?

So here's a poll... for those who wish to remain anonymous, just leave a response. For those who are brave, feel free to add some thoughts or comments.

On a potentially related matter, how many people with bifocals find themselves opening their mouth when leaning their head back to read things posted on walls? I always find myself gaping like a fish at the list of office floors in elevators.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
Of course you look, it's just like glancing in the commode before you flush, the brain is hardwired for this behavior and with rare exceptions everyone will do it, whether they admit it or not.

I even go so far as to think about this very thing every single time I clear the sinuses. Just as I open the kleenex, without fail, I think why do people feel compelled to look at this.
I then quickly justify it by reminding myself that I am checking for blood or other oddities. After all you never know when you may have a leaky aneurism or some other devestating cranial malady and checking the snot might just save your life.

On the other hand, you never know, diamonds and rubies might just fall from my head, and I sure wouldn't want to miss that either.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:52 AM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
On the other hand, you never know, diamonds and rubies might just fall from my head, and I sure wouldn't want to miss that either.
Well I've never found a diamond or ruby in my boogers, but did find a piece of carrot one after first choking on it for a while. I have also found a few bugs in my boogers (small flies and gnats that just flew into visit - not mites or anything living up there). As to other fluids like blood, I once found some goopy gray matter - I hope it wasn't part of the little gray cells - but that could explain lots of things about me if there is a leak from the cranium.

It is amazing though how someone will take a look at the mess they just blew into a tissue (although I use paper towels whenever possible for the extra strength) yet how that same person might very well gag when he/she sees someone else doing the same in close proximity. I figure as long as you don't start looking into other people's snot rags you are pretty much normal.

All the boogers (err best),
Glenn B

PS: Seamus you have a wonderfully inquisitive mind!

Old 04-08-2004, 03:03 AM   #4
robin d.
Quote:
Well I've never found a diamond or ruby in my boogers, but did find a piece of carrot one after first choking on it for a while. I have also found a few bugs in my boogers (small flies and gnats that just flew into visit
everytime i pick mealworms i blow "mud" pout of my nose... the gross thing is that "dirt" that gets up there consists of mealie bedding dust and mealie poo. GREAT!
i worked out in the garden center at wal mart for almost a year and a half in that amount of time i have blow fertilizer,sand,pottingsoil,charcole,grass seed and other odities out of my nose and yes have opened my hankie to observe my findings.

Quote:
It is amazing though how someone will take a look at the mess they just blew into a tissue (although I use paper towels whenever possible for the extra strength) yet how that same person might very well gag when he/she sees someone else doing the same in close proximity. I figure as long as you don't start looking into other people's snot rags you are pretty much normal.
this is kinda like when you break wind... normally you can stand your own stench no matter how bad (normally) however when someone else does it no matter how stinky or not.... it can make you gag or whatever..... its all on a personal level LOL

when you clean out your ears with a q-tip do you look to see your discoveries?

i know this one is gross but it has happened to everyone at least once..
you are sick you cough or sneeze lets say you sneeze and cover your mouth ans blow out a huge lung loaf.. big and nastey what do you do with this handful of snot????
or you cough put your clinched fist over your mouth to be polite and blow a huge loogie out the end (done it) that slings somewhee and is never found .. or blown your nose and no matter how good you blow or wipe you still have a booger hanging oiut and hurry to get the next tissue..
now while most of us had this happen to us at least once and how we felt so embarassed and can feel another persons pain when it happens to them...... we still gross out and cringe

its human nature... its our learned or not behavior to gross out and our curiosity that makes us look..... even though it might be gross,nastey,disgusting, or even embarrassing

Old 04-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Dianne Johnson
Seamus, your mind is a weird and wonderful place.

As someone who was regularly afflicted with nosebleeds as a kid, and even occassionally now, I must admit to checking. The first thought is almost always, "Is there blood?" It's human nature...I'm willing to be we all do it regardless of who will admit it or not.

I must admit that I'm in the club with the gnats and whatnot. I'm also a motorcycle rider and you would be amazed at the creatures & debris we suck into our sinuses on the average ride. Anyone who gardens or works in a garden supply center will have interesting results as well. Since so many things have a fine powder to them in addition to whatever the bulk of the product is made of, it makes you wonder what your bloodwork would look like if a chemical analysis was done. Perhaps another tangent to explore Seamus?

Dianne

Old 04-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Mercer Don
Talk about nostral surprises! I worked in the construction field for over 10 years, specificaly tile setting. Everyday after work was a real chore cleaning out the old sinus. 10 hours of working with grout and thinset, really built up, literally! Blew enough stuff out to build a patio! What was really amazing was the large pieces of sand that ended up there. How did they do that???

Old 06-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Wilomn
As I was reading this I was harkening back to my days in construction and the amount of dirt and crud that I blew out at the end of everyday.

Here's an interesting one for you Seamus. I also used to have an aquarium maintenance company that regularly used activated carbon in the filters. Guess what color snot I ALWAYS had after working that job?

For the record, I always check UNLESS I'm with someone really cute that I don't want to know just how gross I can be. Then it's just blow, fold and in the can. Until she does it, then it's open season on booger lookin'.

Robin, I look at the q-tip too.

Glenn, I don't ALWAYS check the bowl before flushing though most times I do.

Do you guys also compare the color of your urine to that of the day before? That first squirt of the morning can be revealing. Lots of beer the night before and it's pretty clear. Lots of citrus and some amazing shades of orange and yellow.

Someone please TOP that. It's hard for even ME to believe I just posted that.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:37 AM   #8
robin d.
i promise i could top it but i will refrain , however .......... what is the color of poo after drinking pepto bismol? cuz if you know that answer yoiu are all guilty of watching the stink pickle go bye bye

Old 08-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
MR_Jungle_Mist
Just for the record:

Robin scares me.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #10
robin d.
well, ummm....... thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!