Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #121
cguarino30
And here are the photos I referred to in post #120.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #122
cguarino30
and here are four more.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #123
Helenthereef
Looking great!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #124
toddnbecka
Looking really good, love the colors.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #125
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Looking great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Looking really good, love the colors.
Thanks. It's been really fun watching them develop. I should try to get a side by side with one of the non-feeders for comparison.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #126
cguarino30
Update for Feeding #8:

The six "pinky eaters" were offered unscented fuzzy mice, and one of the six ate it with no hesitation. Good news there. The other five declined. I'm not sure if it was a size issue or as scent issue, or possibly both. I will try scented pinkies next week for these five (and maybe some others) and see what happens.

The anole-eater was offered a f/t chick thigh to no avail. Hopefully, my frozen anole order will arrive soon and these can be offered to him and the two non-feeders, who are starting to look a little weak. I am not optimistic about these two.

All other babies, including the nine holdbacks and the ten non-holdback-non-pinky-eaters (should probably come up with a better name for that group), were offered f/t chick thighs and ate.

Bottom line, things are looking pretty good.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #127
Snakesitter
Good work, yet again! Fingers crossed for your order of deceased lizards. ;-)

Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #128
cguarino30
Well, I have some bad news.

Unfortunately, one of the babies died last night or early this morning. It was one from the "pinky eater" group. I can't really discern any reason for the death. There was no sign of stress or illness that I noticed, and aside from not eating this week (which could be related, but is too broad an occurrence to put too much stock in) I can't think of any sign of illness from the upcoming time period. Aside from the skipped meal on Monday, this one was eating and pooping normally, and behaved the same as all the others. I double checked temps, and everything is the same as the other tubs. I'll keep a close eye on all the others, but my thoughts at this time are that it was a fluke occurrence, like a congenital defect that finally compromised the animal's health. The death looked fairly sudden (the snake was twisted up and upside down), so that would be in keeping with my theory.

I took the opportunity to examine the animal more thoroughly than I have been examining the live siblings, largely due to a fear of inflicting stress. He was exactly 20 inches long, and weighed 16 grams. He was also WAY too small to probe safely, and I had to dissect the tail region to ascertain that he was, in fact, a male.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the rest of the babies, but here's hoping that it was a one-off occurrence.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #129
Helenthereef
Really sorry to hear that, especially as it was one of the ones doing so well. At least you can be sure it wasn't from lack of care in your husbandry. Sometimes these are mysteries just sent to try us.
Hope the rest continue to prosper

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #130
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Really sorry to hear that, especially as it was one of the ones doing so well. At least you can be sure it wasn't from lack of care in your husbandry. Sometimes these are mysteries just sent to try us.
Hope the rest continue to prosper
Thanks. I'm pretty confident that the husbandry is right. I've been racking my brain all day trying to come up with something other than "fluke death" and I can't come up with any other viable theories.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!