earth worms? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
[v]aY[-]e[v]
earth worms?

hey i was wondering if i can feed leo's earthworms??
has anyone tried that before? i read that they are the healthiest insects for reptiles? please get back to me on this

Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
Lemur_6
I think you can feed earthworms (some people are against it for some reason or another). I've seen geckos take to earthworms fairly readily, but I wouldn't feed them entirely earthworms. Make sure they're not red wrigglers that are sold commonly in bait stores (they're pretty toxic), and make sure you cut them up into small chunks or the geckos can choke. Also, feeding earthworms makes your gecko's poos pretty smelly.

On a positive note, earthworms have excellent calcium and protein content, here's a link with some nice info on nutritional content of feeder insects: http://nagonline.net/Technical%20Pap...02MODIFIED.pdf

Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
riverjop
Yea, and as snakebyte mentioned in a earlier post get ready for some of your geckos to "only "want "EARTHWORMS".
happy digging!

Old 07-14-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
[v]aY[-]e[v]
does anyone know where i can order them online?

Old 07-14-2004, 02:39 AM   #5
aliceinwl
I'm not sure where you can get them on-line, but I'd exercise caution. I remember a discussion awhile back on a garter snake forum about earthworms carrying a lot of parasites. I saw a special on earthworm farming on TV and they literally feed the worms horse and cattle manure.
-Alice

Old 07-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
reflex21089
They can be ordered from reptilefood.com they are listed as "Night Crawlers"

Old 07-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Intense Herpetoculture
One thing I might be concerned about would be the limited amount of fiber present in the worms resulting in possible digestive problems if there diet contains to great of an percentage of worms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!