Ackie cage size??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
gurumasta
Ackie cage size???

What's up all. My question is, can I fit a tri of red ackies into a 4x18x20 comfortably? Looking at the cages today in the local pet shop, it looked like I could easily get away with that. However, most of what I have read suggests a 4x2x2. I am not aiming to "sqeeze" them in, but not go nuts either. The smaller of the tank size fits much more efficiently for me. Thanks in advance. -Derek

Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
gurumasta
I meant to say trio-my bad. Also, I'm planning to have about 10-12 inches of dirt as a substrate, so I was going to go with a standard aquarium as oppose to a reptile cage. What do you guys suggest for that as well. Again, Thanks.-Derek

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
John E Dove
When I built for a breeding group I started with the base minimum for one Ackie of 2X the max length of 2 feet by 1X the max length X 1.5 the max length above the substrate. So what did I build for a trio to be housed together?
12 feet X 3 feet by 3 feet deep with an adobe clay substrate 1.5 feet deep.
I would recommend you contact Robyn Markland at Pro Exotics for the best advice on keeping your animals.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
gurumasta
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Dove View Post
When I built for a breeding group I started with the base minimum for one Ackie of 2X the max length of 2 feet by 1X the max length X 1.5 the max length above the substrate. So what did I build for a trio to be housed together?
12 feet X 3 feet by 3 feet deep with an adobe clay substrate 1.5 feet deep.
I would recommend you contact Robyn Markland at Pro Exotics for the best advice on keeping your animals.
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Robyn. He said 4x2x2 was fine for the trio. I was just wondering if I would really be under-doing it with a 4x18x20. That's all. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
The reason for the recommended 2 foot minimum for the height is the substrate.
You said you were going to use 10-12 inches of dirt, which is very good. However, you will also need the standard stack of boards on top of the substrate under a heat lamp. With 18 inches of height, minus the 12 inches of substrate, that only leaves you with 6 inches total to the top of the cage. Allowing room for the monitors to lay on the top level under the heat lamp, you'll end up with only two boards stacked and the lizards basking within an inch of the lamp. Just not enough head room.

I would recommend 4x2x2 as the minimum cage size. I'd still use that size myself if I only had one ackie, but for a trio definitely.
Keep in mind that ackies are quite active monitors when the heat is correct, and they will use the space you give them. Trying to save on space with them is not a good idea, the more space the better.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
gurumasta
perfect. thanks for the response. sounds like I'll go with the 4x2x2 and if that still doesn't seem fit, then I will upgrade the tank size. -Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
The reason for the recommended 2 foot minimum for the height is the substrate.
You said you were going to use 10-12 inches of dirt, which is very good. However, you will also need the standard stack of boards on top of the substrate under a heat lamp. With 18 inches of height, minus the 12 inches of substrate, that only leaves you with 6 inches total to the top of the cage. Allowing room for the monitors to lay on the top level under the heat lamp, you'll end up with only two boards stacked and the lizards basking within an inch of the lamp. Just not enough head room.

I would recommend 4x2x2 as the minimum cage size. I'd still use that size myself if I only had one ackie, but for a trio definitely.
Keep in mind that ackies are quite active monitors when the heat is correct, and they will use the space you give them. Trying to save on space with them is not a good idea, the more space the better.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
suzuki4life
why is so much dirt needed?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Clay Davenport
Ackies tunnel quite extensively to dig a nest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!