My Ctenosaurs - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
stolenheron
does anyone have experience sexing young cyclura or ctenosaura?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
stolenheron

Had a near disaster yesterday. was feeding the iguanas, moved the C. quinquecarinata to a different cage. 20 minutes later I come back to blood all over the back drop/sticks and a prolapse. I immediately made a call to my lizard vet, placed him in a sugar-water bath to soak. for a lizard with a 3" snout to vent length, surgery is just to risky. all I could do is hope and pray that soaking would work. he hopped out of the bowl on his own in the bathtub. I had my friends come by and check on him while I was out of the house, his condition didn't change. 8 hours later, I come home to check on him, expecting the little guy to have bled out....he was running around the bathtub with no issues, the prolapse had retracted and he was back to normal.

I am pretty sure the prolapse was foriegn object caused (he took a mouthful of cocofiber last week, while eating mealworms that fell out of the bowl).

I also picked up a Rhinoceros iguana yesterday!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
stolenheron
I realize I post more in my own thread than anyone else BUT.... this is my Ctenosaura diary i guess haha.

Today = deworming day at the vet. all 3 of my ctenosaurs and my 1 rhino ig are going in today.

YESTERDAY: my female similis decided to jump off of the 2nd story balcony and land in the grass. luckily she was so fat that she basically bounced and just walk around eating weeds until I could rush out of the building and outside.

the C. quin. seems to be doing just fine since the prolapse.

I am worried about 2 things. Is my juvenile similis a male and what sex is the C. q.

I caught the similis tihnking/hoping for a male so I can have a pair in a few years. I do not have a care whether my C. q is a male or a female I just want to know the sex.
my c. q.'s femoral pores.... they look to be male BUT the lizard's overall length is about 7 inches and it is barely growing which makes me think it is a female (color is also brown)

my juvi similis' pores. this was take a few months and a few inches shorter ago. i'm praying it is a male :/ but I wont know for a while and I'm too afraid to have someone experienced try and probe it

Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
stolenheron

2 year old female C. similis' pores

Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
stolenheron
UPDATE:
-C. similis female is doing perfect
-C. quinquecarinata is just fine, no more prolapse issues.
-HOWEVER, just as my juvenile C. similis (male?)'s forearm injury healed, he jumped out of his cage when I was cleaning and he hurt his hind leg upon landing. He is going on lockdown again and will be getting an appropriate dose of metacam.

he doesnt have MBD, he has full UVB/A spectrum, a balanced diet, and calcium powdered crickets. This guy is just unlucky

Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
stolenheron
My C. similis female finally reached sexually maturity to my surprise.

she stopped eating, and began to act odd. sure enough she laid over 20 infertile eggs. she is all skin and bones now, but it getting her appetite for greens and fruits back. However, she has not begun eating farm raised crickets again and will only take wild caught insects like large mantises and grasshoppers.

No more juvenile male c. similis and no more c. quinquecarinata.

I caught another young juvenile last week and hope to raise him or her up to adult hood.

IF ANYONE HAS AN ADULT OR SUBADULT MALE C. SIMILIS FOR SALE PLEASE PM ME!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
AmberNichole
What area of Florida are you catching them. I know there are a lot of wild green iguanas and veiled chameleons, but didn't know these guys have a wild population. Interesting!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
stolenheron
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberNichole View Post
What area of Florida are you catching them. I know there are a lot of wild green iguanas and veiled chameleons, but didn't know these guys have a wild population. Interesting!
PM me.

not very many veiled left in the population I knew of since they just cleared the land for a building.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
tegu man
i love reading all your post not very many people take to c.similis like you have i have 2 pairs just because i love the little crazy fast guys.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
stolenheron
I just got 2 more in today. They were actually babies that I field collected about 5 months ago that I had given to a friend. They both look to be female which is a shame. I need an adult male, quite badly.

If anyone is willing to trade a group of 2 subadult females and 1 unknown baby for a male adult. just lemme know

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!