Ackie Care - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
g&mgeckos
Ackie Care

I was looking for some information on red and yellow ackies. I just read the article in my new Reptiles magazine and it really peaked my interest. Any suggestions on books or web sites would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Jim O
Glenn,

That article was a nice intoduction to dwarf monitors. They are really neat little animals. I have red and yellow ackies as well as freckled monitors (Varanus tristis orientalis) and a pair of red timorensis.

Python Pete has some info at http://www.pythonpete.com/info/ackieinf.htm. Pro Exotics has info at http://www.proexotics.com/care_ackie.html and at http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ_answer..._so_great.html.

The best book on monitors in general, in my opinion, is Varanoid Lizards of the World, edited by Pianka, King, and King. You can probably find it at Amazon.com. There also is a book called Australian Goannas by Vincent and Wilson. That is an Australian Book and can be hard to find though I picked it up recently.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Tang
that articled piqued my interest as well, im also seriously considering an ackie purchase in the near future because of it. whats the usual price range for ackies?

Old 06-30-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
Jim O
They range some but around $150-250 is an average price range. Reds are often a bit more than yellows. Yellows are often easier to "tame" and do not typically get as large as reds but there are "giant" yellows which are about as big as typical reds.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
DragonCharm
Great info as always Jim.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!