wet cat food, good or bad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
futureherpbreeder
wet cat food, good or bad?

my 4ft female use 2 eat at least 2 plates of greens and veggies everyday, but it found our cats wet food in the kitchen one day, now it barely eats a 1/4 plate a day. it has free roam of the house, so ive been puting the cat food up on the counters. but she just doesnt have the appetite 4 her regular food. will the wet cat food hurt her digestive track or block any internal organs?
thanks,

josh and luca the lizzard

Old 10-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
old guy
maybe to much protein

some will say as some books state as well. Maybe true but in wild iguanas are known to take some animal protein in as in dead animal matter. The reason being is that some plants smells like decaying animal matter but it's hard to figure out how many times a iguana comes across a dead animal. My own experience has been many iguanas took dead mice in as food. But with being chiefly herbivores..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureherpbreeder
my 4ft female use 2 eat at least 2 plates of greens and veggies everyday, but it found our cats wet food in the kitchen one day, now it barely eats a 1/4 plate a day. it has free roam of the house, so ive been puting the cat food up on the counters. but she just doesnt have the appetite 4 her regular food. will the wet cat food hurt her digestive track or block any internal organs?
thanks,

josh and luca the lizzard

Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
varnyard
When you say wet cat food are you talking about canned cat food? Either way IMO, it is bad. Iguanas that are known for eating meat can and do get aggressive. Also cat food and dog food contain things that are harmful to reptiles. Red dyes are toxic to reptiles and are often times used in these products. Ash and news paper are also used, they can build up in their system and cause a blockage. It goes right through a cat or dog but reptiles can not pass these items due to the slow digestion process. So, IMO, it would be very risky at best.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
cornchips
Sorry Varnyard but I disagree, animals dont get aggressive from eating meat.Maybe from chasing and eating live prey but not from eating a plate of meat products..BUT catfood and dogfood are bad for iggs. they are mainly vegans and dont need all that crap from canned catfood.It would be like feeding donuts to your kid, how many and how much would you let them have and can they live without it.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchips
Sorry Varnyard but I disagree, animals dont get aggressive from eating meat.Maybe from chasing and eating live prey but not from eating a plate of meat products..BUT catfood and dogfood are bad for iggs. they are mainly vegans and dont need all that crap from canned catfood.It would be like feeding donuts to your kid, how many and how much would you let them have and can they live without it.
Well we can agree to disagree. I have seen it too many times.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
old guy
Oh my G. myth buster ! LOL !

there is no collective date, scientific data or else of feeding meat / animal to any specie of any animal will make it aggressive. I say that with the knowledge that this myth perforated a deer scenario some years ago. But the jury is still out on that. I researched where humans can have aggressive tendencies whether they are consuming meat or not. Maybe just a hormonal problem instead of the meat factor ? Wadda ya think ?...........

Old 10-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
varnyard
I am going by what I have seen in many years as a keeper. I have taken in more rescued iguanas then I can even guess. Several of these had been fed dog food as well as meat. However after this food has been removed from the diet they do calm down much more than when I got them. So, this would be my opinion. Also iguanas do not need this type of food.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
cornchips
Its just that ive heard this argument many times from people for all kinds of animals(including ferrets,cats and dogs).And there is no scientific bases for this at all.Unless it makes them cranky because they feel bad from a poor diet.I see it as more of an old wives tale.Does the meat produce a hormone in the animal that makes it suddenly more aggressive, its not been proven, nor has a sudden "reverting to a wild state" from the taste of meat..You rescues may have calmed down simply from a lack of stress from bad situations.

BTW thanks for deleting my other post i was trying to do someone a favor by letting them have the book for an easy trade.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Mokele
Well, cornchips is right that without proper testing in a controled environment, it's not possible to conclusively state that meat is the causative factor, since many other enviornmental factors doubtlessly also change when Vanyard takes the igs from a crappy home with a crappy diet and gives them a good home with a good idet. Stress, UVB, temps, nutrition, amount of food, all would change at once, so it becomes difficult to determine which is responsible without actual controlled experiments.

That said, I think cornchips may be onto something with the notion of a poor diet making them feel bad. It's well-established that the reaction of lizards to threats can change with temperature: at high temps, when muscles are functioning optimally, they run, but when cool and unable to run at sufficient speed, they react aggressively towards the threat. It's not implausible that animals feeling ill or in inferior physical shape (again, possibly due to any of the correlates listed above, not just meat), and therefore unable to run at optimal speed, may instead resort to attacking the perceived threat. Once Vanyard's care has restored them to health, their ability to run may improve, and thus they may be more likely to respond with flight than fight. But that's just a hypothesis, nothing tested.

Henry

Old 10-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
futureherpbreeder
thanks everyone for sharing your knowlede with me, i greatly appreciate it.

josh and luca

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!