HELP!!! I've never owned a reptile - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
Or it could very easily be the zoomed incandescent basking lamps- spot or non.

Since she specifically mentioned the UVA and *not* the UVB- I think the assumption that it's a mercury vapor bulb is a massive leap past the avaliable information.

Good point.

Nicole, was there a product name on the box (other than ZooMed?) Does it say Powersun or Basking Lamp?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Mooing Tricycle
i want to ask if you can get pictures of the set up you have him in currently, as well.

Pictures really help people help you with how you should have everything set up for your dragon. :P

Old 06-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
nicolenoeld
it says "15% more heat, light and UVA output than standard basking lamps". The lady at petco recommended it... but I think she didn't really seem like she knew what she was talking about. haha. he seems to really like this lamp though. Unfortunatly, my digital camera is not working, so I dont have any pictures to show. Is it normal though that he can't hold up his chest? I looked at pics online, and they all seem to be able to hold themselves up. He's able to hold his head up but that's it. Is that a sign of MBD?
Also, his lights were left on the whole 4 months he was at my workplace, never turned off at night. Should I still turn them off for 8 hours a night? or should I work him up to that?
One last thing, will cutting his nails help him walk better, or is that a no-no?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolenoeld
it says "15% more heat, light and UVA output than standard basking lamps". The lady at petco recommended it...
Seamus was right then, it is a basking lamp. If you can, take it back and get a Powersun UV, that's the mercury vapor bulb. It will supply everything your boy needs, heat, UVA and UVB. Just a plain basking light will not. If you have a smaller tank (29 or 20 long) I would go with the 100 watt bulb, that's what I use for my baby beardies in a 20 long. I have it mounted at one end with the surface of the bulb about 20 inches above the floor of the cage and it works perfectly. If you have a larger cage, I'd go with the 160 watt bulb, then start with it mounted about 20 inches over the floor of the cage and adjust up or down depending on the hot spot temp you're getting.

As far as his not holding his chest up, that's kind of natural posture for beardies, they usually rest on their bellies with their heads up. It isn't necessarily a sign of MBD. If his legs appear bent between the joints, then yes, but MBD can be hard to detect.

And right now, once you get a UVB emitting bulb, I'd give him about 14 hours of light a day. Turn them off at night so the poor guy can catch up on sleep

Old 06-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
nicolenoeld
Thanks so much Erin and Seamus, you've been a great help. I'll keep everyone updated on his health.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Wow, good thing you found this poor dragon! It sounds like he needs some attention.
I know you have already gotten loads of info from the guys on here. The best Mercury Vapor Lamps are either the Megaray from reptileuv.com or the T-rex Active UV heat. The Zoomed Powersun is just ok, but it doesn't emit near the UVB's that the other 2 do. Just thought I would add that for you.
Good luck with him.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!