Building Incubators - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
AxelMyBaby
Building Incubators

Anyone have ideas for building incubators?

Breeders, are there any special 'homeade' incubators you have made and how succesfull are they??

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
Daniel Moore
Hmm I dont know if I should divuldge this information over a post lemme send you an email for a real slick incubator

Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Robust_Beardies
We were able to build a great homemade incubator for just about $400. Given, $275 of that was for the thermostat, but the cost was still very well worth the investment. We looked through local classifieds and found someone selling a wine chiller with a glass door (for easy observation) for $50. We took that home and cleaned it up. *The fridge does not need to work for the purpose of chilling because your only going to be adding your own heat source anyway. Non-working equipment is generally cheaper too!*

We bought 4 feet of Flexwatt, some cable with outlet plugs to hook up the Flexwatt, aluminum tape to attach the Flexwatt and a HerpStat II. We put 2 feet of Flexwatt on the ceiling and another 2 feet on the floor to evenly disperse the heat. We put in the shelves and the egg containers. We used Tupperware for our containers. With a small container of water on the bottom shelf to create humidity, our incubator was complete.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
AxelMyBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Moore
Hmm I dont know if I should divuldge this information over a post lemme send you an email for a real slick incubator
My email hasn't been able to be checked in a while, so a PM would be great instead

Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
AxelMyBaby
Thanks, Tigres!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
fstop2100a
very nice incubator. here is one I built using stuff right from home depot. I use the helix controller which works just great. For a picture email me at chesapeakedragons@comcast.net as I cant seem to figure out how to put an image in this re ply

Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
glkherp
Here is one I built last year.

I have built a few of these for people over the last few years and they have worked great. It is basically a 1/2" Melamine outer shell with 1/2 foam sandwiched between that and 1/8 inch shower board on the inside. I use a 250 watt heat element which I like better than the Flexwatt since it heats up and cools down so much quicker. Then to control it I use two Herpstat Thermostats run in series, one for a backup. Takes some time to build but they work.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
INSANE CANES
Wow nice looking incubators. Thanks for sharing

Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
AxelMyBaby
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glkherp
I have built a few of these for people over the last few years and they have worked great. It is basically a 1/2" Melamine outer shell with 1/2 foam sandwiched between that and 1/8 inch shower board on the inside. I use a 250 watt heat element which I like better than the Flexwatt since it heats up and cools down so much quicker. Then to control it I use two Herpstat Thermostats run in series, one for a backup. Takes some time to build but they work.

Wow! Cool! How much do you charge for those?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
glkherp
Thanks...

That one was $925. It's 97" x 26" x 24", the only problem is it is way to heavy to ship. I'm working on a different design now that may be light enough, but it will still take some time to finish.

George

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!