Cannibal JCP Male carpet STRIKES!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Skanakis
Cannibal JCP Male carpet STRIKES!!!!!

So the situation is as follows. I have a huge enclosure. 4 long, 3 high, 3 deep. I usually house a HUGE JCP 6 foot male and a nice size JCP female in there.

I house another male around 4-5 feet in a huge plastic bin. Well the bin got destroyed of my own doing the other day so...having absolutely no place to place him i put him in the enclosure with the other JCP's thinking nothing of it cause for a bit they stayed together many of times before. Well. The smaller male is missing. The bigger male is soaking in water and seems like a full tummy. There is no way of escape. I checked every possible measure.

Conclusion. This *&&^%%^&&*(*&&**&^^%%%$$%^&*(()__*&^$#@!@! i believe ate my male. Is there stories of this? Does anyone have input? I did expect alittle fighting and such....but...to eat another snake? A JCP. I know about kings and such...but a JCP?

Before i get bitched at and fingers pointed...i know i know...2 males and one female in one tank.....its a no no....I am SERIOUSLY hoping that he got out since i worked 19 hours yesterday and i was very thoughtless. I dont know.....chime in guys. Easy on the "your a dummy thing". I know.

oh and let me add....from my other posts where my girlfriend always gives me a hard time about my snakes...shes pissed now. Cause NOW she states that those were her favorite snakes. The female and the now missing male. Those were my 2 first JCP's that i drove from NYC to florida with.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Morelia4life
I can't see a JCP eating another snake. I have never heard of that on this forum, the Aussie Forum or the Morelia Community Forum. I won't believe it. I think it had to escape somehow. Go check every where in your house. Eh, don't feel bad for putting the trio together, shit happens man. I can see the two males battling for control for the female but for the loser to be consumed by the winner? I will do some research and see if I can find anything else like this. If you have time, you can go to the Australianpythons website.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Skanakis
yeah brotha...i will. When i get home this morning im tearing my apartment up. But i need to say this. In this enclosure....the doors are 2 peices of plexi....split half....that open side to side with a lock. Everything was in place when i got there. Im gonna do a complete strip down of my apartment. details will follow. I just didnt like how the big dude was acting....he was just coiled up....relaxing in the huge water tub i have.....and he looked....kinda thick. I agree with you...i have NEVER heard of a jcp eating another. Ill keep up to date on this

Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
hhmoore
While one doesn't usually think of adult carpets eating one another; my experience says it's in the realm of possibility. Over the years, I've had multiple pairs that I had to be very careful with them during periods of cohabitation. Usually there was some trigger - movement in the room, me feeding other snakes, etc - but one would grab the other and constrict.
I've had big males grab females, and big females grab males...never had a problem when they were comparable in size. Luckily, I've never lost one to those episodes...but there were pairs that I never bred because it happened too often for my comfort.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Skanakis
Harald....thats what im concerned about....that possibility. I have a fairly small apartment....with no ways out so tomorrow. Furniture is being overturned....closets are being emptied.....boxed looked in....i will look very hard for this animal. Unfortunately in my lanai its always around 80+ but in my apartment i keep it 72. So ill look for warm spots and everywhere i can. And of course....i can also wait till one of the remaining snaked drops a deuce....and hope its not a long and lanky one.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
hhmoore
72 degrees won't hurt him.
At 4-5 ft, I would expect that you'd be able to tell if he'd been eaten - unless he's still on the skinny side.
Any chance that there's enough give in the doors that he could have snuck out?

Good luck finding him, hopefully alive and well.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
Morelia4life
Yeah, I hope you do find him and he is ok. Like Harald said, 72 degrees won't hurt him. If he did get consumed then wow... just wow. If a carpet python can eat another snake then I might have to look at all snakes differently lol. Hopefully he just got out and is hiding somewhere.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Skanakis
will update guys with results....thank you both.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
Morelia4life
I just got through talking with some aussie's and I asked them if they ever heard of a carpet eating another carpet and they said yes. One of them mentioned a 2.6 kg male eating a 1.6 kg male and the result was they both died from it. They said it is rare but it does happen. So.... yeah, your carpet actually might be gone I suppose. Hopefully not, but now I am not sure anymore. That blew my mind when they told me that. I know Aspidities consume other snakes but I never thought carpets would.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
Skanakis
well brotha...ill keep ya updated from my search when i get home. Lets hope he did a whodini act.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!