For Sale African Soft Furs in South PA - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Sushi Dragons
Sent you a PM.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC View Post
It's actually illegal to own/breed soft furs in PA...not trying to get anyone in trouble or anything....and I know people have them at the reptile shows ALL the time...but it is actually illegal. If you don't believe contact fish and game and ask for yourself.
Could you cite the specific law? I was never able to find a specific list in writing on what mammals are prohibited. Contacting F&W on the phone and having nothing in writing isn't really a feasible answer from them.

Quote:
Pennsylvania's Exotic Animal Laws state that a permit is required for certain animals. This permit can be acquired from the Pennsylvania Wildlife Commission. Any individual who is thinking about an exotic animal as a pet should study the rules and regulations as they pertain to the exotic animal in question. This can save a lot of time and money as these permits must be in place before the possession of the animal occurs.

34 Pennsylvania Constitutional Statute Annotated §2961 defines what is meant words and phrases used in the Pennsylvania's Exotic Animal Laws. As per this statute, educational purposes means displays containing exotic animals that are used by schools, both private and public, organizations such as youth and sportsmen's organizations, civic associations, conservation schools and camps and other organizations that the commission deems appropriate. Exotic wildlife, according to this statute, refers to coyotes, bears, lions, leopards, tigers, jaguars, cougars, cheetahs, wolves or any hybrid of these animals as well as any other animal the commission deems appropriate. An exotic wildlife dealer, according to this statute, is anyone who imports, possesses, sells, purchases, locates for a fee, donates, barters or disposes of more than one animal or bird classified as exotic.

34 Pennsylvania Constitutional Statute Annotated §2963 explains the process required to receive a permit to possess an exotic animal. Permits issued by the Pennsylvania Wildlife Commission authorize the holder of the permit to possess, buy and receive exotic wildlife as long as the wildlife comes from a lawful source. This source can either be located within Pennsylvania or not. This statute also states that no permit will be granted until the Pennsylvania Wildlife Commission is convinced that the individual applying for the permit has proven that they have the facilities needed to house for the exotic animal and also has the ability to care for the exotic animal as well as to protect the public from the exotic animal.

This Pennsylvania Exotic Wildlife Law also states what is considered unlawful relating to possession of exotic wildlife. It states that no one may possess, buy or receive any exotic animal without first being granted the permits required by the Pennsylvania Wildlife Commission. This individual may not release the exotic animal into the wilds of Pennsylvania. This individual is expected to due diligence in protecting the public from the exotic animal that they are in possession of and the individual may not ever engage in any conduct that would allow the exotic animal to become dangerous to another person. Penalties for these violations are as follows: a first offense is a third degree offense, any following offenses are to be considered fifth degree offenses. Each day the individual is found in violation is a separate offense, but at no time shall the individuals fine exceed $300 for a field receipt. A court penalty has no limit. And of course, the Director of the Pennsylvania Wildlife Commission can revoke or suspend the permit at anytime the penalties warrant it, as well as ordering the exotic wildlife to be disposed of.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
StinaUIUC
Quote:
Could you cite the specific law? I was never able to find a specific list in writing on what mammals are prohibited. Contacting F&W on the phone and having nothing in writing isn't really a feasible answer from them.
There ISN'T a specific list...that is the biggest issue. The law is INCREDIBLY vague...so they basically just pick and choose what they want to allow or disallow... In planning a rodent specific event the organizers contacted F&W and were told the ONLY legal rodents were gerbils, mice, rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs...basically if you don't see it in pet stores its not legal. I tried to contact them via e-mail to have it in writing and was told to call them...when I told them I was e-mailing b/c I wanted it in writing...I never recieved a response...even after multiple further requests.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
TripleMoonsExotic
Pet stores do carry ASF, not chain stores of course, but I have seen ASF in privately owned pet stores. Unless it's in writing I think they'd be hard-pressed to enforce it. You can't say something is illegal and not have written law. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
StinaUIUC
They took away hedgehogs from breeders who'd been breeding them for many generations within PA without it being in writing that they could do so. The law states that any exotic animals must have been bred from animals originating within the state...anything not listed specifically as domesticated (which is ONLY dogs, cats, horses, pigs, sheep, and goats I believe) is considered exotic...they've chosen not to enforce it for species like rats, mice, etc.......but they DO enforce it for other species. Technically its in writing that they are not legal...but like I said, they pick and choose what they want to enforce at any given time.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
SnakeKB
It wasnt too long ago that a local shop to me and triplemoon had a asf for sale. It may or may not be illegal to have them but bottom line if the government wants to be shitty then they will with no reason at all. Please everyone, keep this out of my thread. It's a for sale thread and unless your interested in buying some please post elsewhere.
  Contact User Check User
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
TripleMoonsExotic
I apologize for making this into a discussion, Kevin.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
StinaUIUC
Pretty sure its relevant to point out that an animal listed for sale is illegal in the state its being advertised in. People considering buying them should be aware of that.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
hhmoore
Enough already...the seller already asked that this discussion be taken elsewhere. The issue of legality was raised, so potential buyers can check things out for themselves; but this IS the classifieds, and not the place for continued discussion.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
SnakeKB
Thank you.
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!