Heavy parasite load found in ball python from Ed Clark - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
cookreptiles
Exclamation Heavy parasite load found in ball python from Ed Clark

On November 1, 2006 I received a group of 2005 female ball pythons from Ed Clark in trade for some crested geckos. Ed told me that they were captive bred and assured me that "all [his] stuff is as clean as you will find" and, as he was in good standing with the reptile community at the time, I took his word for it.

Last Thursday one of these females passed something in a bit of runny stool that I had never seen before (see photo below). I took the snake and the suspect tapeworm to the vet Friday morning. The vet ran a fecal sample and confirmed tapeworms along with strongyloides and a high number of coccidia.

The snakes in question are 2005 females that eat very well, yet haven't put on much weight since I have had them. They have not been in direct contact with any of the other snakes in my collection, nor do they share prey items. I have had fecals done on several other snakes recently, all of which were clean. The only snakes that I have added to my collection since acquiring these girls are 2 cbb ball pythons that I got in Daytona several weeks ago; these snakes are currently in quarantine.

This is proof enough for me that the snakes I received from Ed were infested with parasites at the time I received them. I should have been wise enough to run fecals on them immediately even though, at the time, I trusted the source.

The point of my post is not to start drama or debate, but to inform those who have also purchased from Ed Clark that their snakes may also be carrying a heavy parasite load. Regardless of the source, always get a fecal done for the sake of your animals!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Suncoast Herpetological
A question Emily. Did Ed say the animals were captive bred or captive born?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
please post all correspondence from this transaction. Or any documentation you may have to prove this accusation.

Have you alerted Ed to this thread yet?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
bullfrog100000
You bought the snakes in Nov. 2006... basically 10 months ago. A lot of things could happen in that amount of time. Mice/rats carry tapeworms just as humans do. Unfortunately tapeworms are very common, my bet would be they came from a mouse/rat. Maybe that rat was fed to the snake at Ed's place, but likely he was unaware of it. If the snake doesn't have outward symptoms of illness there would be no reason for him to suspect a problem.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
cookreptiles
Ed stated that the snakes were captive bred. I will post all correspondence shortly (e-mails).

The kind of tapeworm that infects reptiles is different from the tapeworm that infects mammals. The snake has the reptilian version of the tapeworm along with strongyloides and coccidia.

I was assured before the trade that these snakes were clean, therefore I expected to receive clean snakes.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #6
KelliH
I agree with the above poster. It's been nearly a year since you bought these animals. Had you had a fecal smear and float done shortly after you acquired them and it was positive for some sort of parasite then I would agree that Ed would owe you for the cost of the vet bill or would need to refund your money and take the animals back.

Have you contacted Ed about this situation?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookreptiles
Ed stated that the snakes were captive bred. I will post all correspondence shortly (e-mails).

The kind of tapeworm that infects reptiles is different from the tapeworm that infects mammals. The snake has the reptilian version of the tapeworm along with strongyloides and coccidia.

I was assured before the trade that these snakes were clean, therefore I expected to receive clean snakes.

are you able to also post vet reports stating that is what these animals have?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
jsrocket
It is common knowledge that Ed imports animals. Are you now whining because you bought a cheap import? I bought a Festiva, and expected a Cadillac. Get my drift?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
bigman466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog100000
You bought the snakes in Nov. 2006... basically 10 months ago. A lot of things could happen in that amount of time. Mice/rats carry tapeworms just as humans do. Unfortunately tapeworms are very common, my bet would be they came from a mouse/rat. Maybe that rat was fed to the snake at Ed's place, but likely he was unaware of it. If the snake doesn't have outward symptoms of illness there would be no reason for him to suspect a problem.

I agree,Anything can happen in that amount of time.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
KelliH
I just want to say that I totally understand your frustration, and I am sorry this happened to you/your snakes. It's just real hard to put 100% blame on Ed when so much time has passed, sorry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!