Getting my first crested, what will I need in my set up? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Shea<3Leo
Getting my first crested, what will I need in my set up?

I so used to my Leopard geckos, Im not exactly sure what to do for my new boy ill be getting

how hot does the cage need?
what sort of light?
is a heating pad requied for them?
do they need it to be moist, or mostly dry?

and if theres anything else i need to know PLEASE let me knoe
Ill be getting him soon

and he is going in a 10 gallon

(I will probly have him in two days)

Old 12-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
ByRandom
Shealyn,

Here is a care sheet that you may want to read:

http://www.herpcam.com/crestedgecko.htm

Just the rundown. I liked to use egg-crates in my enclosures instead of plants. You can either use papertowels or peatmoss. Mist twice or so daily. You want to keep it at about 65% himidity. They don't require any additional heat source unless you live in an exceptionally cold climate. Keep them at about 65-70 degrees. You can feed them crickets supplemented with calcium and vitamins, as well as T-Rex CGD (Crested Gecko Diet) mixed in with fruit type baby food.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Buffalocityherpx
Red face

not to be rude or anything but youre cutting it really close to be asking simple basic questions about the husbandry of a crested. shealyn is pretty much right, but i would be a little bit more concerned if you know you are getting a new friend in 2 days and have no idea how to setup or care for it yet... sorry for the bluntness but thats how i feel.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Buffalocityherpx
sorry i meant byrandom

Old 12-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Shea<3Leo
i pretty much have the set up,
I was simply making sure I had it correct
I have a side with moss, and its about 70 in the tank,
and the rest of it in cypress bedding for reptiles,
and I have a few things for him to climb on
so
I was making sure I am donig it correct
thanks

Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
HerpAddict
For cresteds, it is important that they have lots of height to climb in. If you are using a 10 gallon long tank, then you need to turn it on its end so that it's taller than wide. Personally, I think that a 10 gallon is not big enough if this is going to be the tank this crested lives in it's whole life. I would consider getting something closer to 20 gallons.

The more space you can devote to these guys, the better they thrive.

I prefer cocofibre as a substrate for adults. How old will be the one that you are purchasing??

Cheers

Old 12-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Shea<3Leo
welli got him he is about dubble the size of a hatchling
but he is not gonig to be in that tank his whole life

he will be moved

Old 12-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
sircat
I've heard differing opinions about using a 10g for 1 adult gecko but bigger is always better...

I use paper towel for substrate both to make sure young ones are eating and so it's not always so hard to find eggs in adult tanks and so they won't ingest substrate...the laying boxes in the adult tanks have coco fibre and moss...I have heard one person say that the coco fiber might harm eggs if they're left in too long but I haven't run into that problem

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!