Bad Guy Justin Babinec, South Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
MelodyCPDT
Justin Babinec, South Florida

I would like to warn others in South Florida of this person named Justin Babinec. He is not honest, very immature and does not care for his animals properly.

Back story:

I answered an ad on CraigsList that Justin posted regarding selling two fire salamanders. I agreed to meet with Justin at his place of employment, Pet Supermarket, to purchase two adult female fire sals and a baby tokay. Upon my arrival, Justin walked out from the store and retrieved the animals from inside of his car. From my understanding, these animals are heat sensitive and we live in South Florida - the purchase was made on May 8 and daytime temps were in the mid-high 80's. I questioned this, but he said that they "weren't there long". I bought the animals and drove home, a 40 minute drive. Before I got home, one was dead, as I saw her upside down in the tub. I immediately called Justin when I got home, who promptly yelled that *I* did something wrong, and that putting the animals in my air conditioned truck killed her. I was appalled! After a lengthy conversation he agreed to repay me the price of the now dead salamander (that took a lot of convincing...) I told him most people give a 1 week health guarantee, it's the honest thing to do, when you purchase an animal. He agreed and I said I would be in touch and let him know how the other sal does. As if on cue, the other salamander dies and he's informed immediately, even though this was one day passed the 1 week guarantee (she died May 16.) We had exchanged text messages prior to this as I was concerned that she was not eating for me. He asked me to give him a little time to come up with the money, but he would refund me for both sals - a total of $40. He said he had a family emergency though, and was leaving town, and that he "didn't want me to think he wasn't trying to send the money". He said that when he got back in town he would refund the money via money order. I told him whatever family emergency was going on, I hope everything was ok.

I heard nothing back, so on May 21 I texted him, touching base. He responded with he got back in town the day before, but asked to send the money in two weeks as the trip took all his money, he said "I will give you the 40 for sure though, no jokes".

I leave it alone, and see if he makes honest with his word. On June 10, I text him again. He responded with an apology for the delay and that he would send the money that Friday. I thanked him for his honesty. June 20, I send him another text that I hadn't received anything or heard from him. No response. June 22 I tell him I'll be in his area and that I would like to pick up my money instead of him having to get the money order and mailing it. He apologized that he got a new 'fone' and didn't have my number, was waiting for me to text him, and that he was with the cremation people. I told him sorry for his loss and that he could instead do the money order deal as we originally agreed to. He thanked me for being such an understanding person. I asked him to please not take advantage of me, and he returned with he wasn't, that it was "bad timing".

I didn't hear from him again. I sent texts on the following dates, just trying to follow up, never getting a response.

June 30
July 3
July 12
Aug 6

On Aug 13 I get a text from him "U got any lizards?" - I had listed a post on CraigsList for some snakes I was selling (no lizards...) I responded with "Are you serious? I don't hear from you in close to two months, as you still owe me $40, and you ask if I have any lizards? Justin come on."

And shockingly, no response again.

At the end of it, it's not about the money...it's about principle. This guy is NOT true to his word and does not care for his animals. I urge anyone buying/selling/trading with this kid (he looks to be maybe 18) to be careful. I've given him plenty of him to refund the money.

I can provide the texts if anyone wants to see them for some reason. I will be making him aware that his post exists, via text, as I do not have an email address for him.

Melody Owens

Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Post the texts, people will want to see any proof available just to establish your side of the story.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
MelodyCPDT
Here's the first four. Please note, the sal died about an hour after I sent him the text on May 16 at 7:43am, I had called him and left him a voicemail that she was gone. I unfortunately don't have record of that. Three more screen shots will be posted on the next message...
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
MelodyCPDT
Here's the rest...
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
MelodyCPDT
Here's proof that he was informed of the post here.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
MelodyCPDT
...the last word of the text is "like"

Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
LauraB
I'm not disputing or attempting to discredit your statements, Melody, but would really appreciate his phone number, address, photos ... anything ... you might have relative to this person and your transaction.

It just seems familiar to another scenario posted here recently that raised questions about the credibility, maturity and honesty about the seller/advertiser in that other particular unsuccessful transaction (also in south FL). The buyer in that transaction also got burnt.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
MelodyCPDT
Hi Laura, his phone # is 954-224-5777. I don't have his address as I met him at his work, Pet Supermarket 2111 N Federal Hwy Hollywood, FL 33004. He drives a silver Alero. As far as pictures, I only have one of the tokay I bought, none of the salamanders.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Lucille
Just my two cents. I think storing animals in one's car and doing transactions from one's car during a work day is obviously bad for the critters, and probably not something an employer that runs a critter business would condone.

I'd print out a copy of this thread, go talk to the manager of Pet Supermarket, and see if there is help available as far as encouraging the seller to refund as promised. I think any decent company would not want to be known for having its own employees engaging in the business of running petstores out of their cars during store hours.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
cjsreptiles
I have had many transactions with melody over the years. All were for ball pythons. She has purchased some of my babies and I have purchased a few of her sub adults. Her animals have always been top notch. Very well fed and clean. I have no doubt in my mind that she is being truthfull about this situation. Her main focus is always the wellbeing of the animals. I hope this guy pays her the money he owes.

Joe Stuck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!