RIPPED OFF BY RONKY ADAMS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
TONYHURT
Angry RIPPED OFF BY RONKY ADAMS

FEELING STUPID! I SOLD A PAIR OF PASTEL BOAS HET FOR STRIPE TO RONKY ADAMS.
HE SAID HE LIVED IN AFRICA AND SOLD EXOTIC ANIMALS.

THE DEAL WENT AS FOLLOWS:
I WOULD RECEIVE A CASHIERS CHECK FOR 2,150.00 FROM HIS FRIEND WHO OWED HIM MONEY. HE WANTED ME TO TAKE THE MONEY AND DEDUCT THE PRICE OF THE ANIMALS FROM THE CHECK AND WESTERN UNION HIM THE REMAINDER OF THE FUNDS IN NIGERIA.
I THOUGHT GREAT. YOU SEND THE MONEY, I'LL TAKE CARE OF THE REST. TWO WEEKS LATER TO MY SUPRISE THE CASHIERS CHECK ARRIVED. I DID AS INSTRUCTED DEPOSITED THE CHECK IN MY ACCOUNT AND SENT HIM THE REMAINDER OF THE FUNDS WESTERN UNION.
I RECEIVE A CALL TODAY TELLING ME THE CHECK IS A FRAUD AND I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENTIRE AMOUNT. I WAS SHOCKED!
I HAVE DETECTIVES IN 2 STATES WORKING ON THIS AS WELL AS THE SECRET SERVICE.
IF ANYONE AS DEALT WITH ANYONE CLAIMING TO BE IN AFRICIA BEWARE!

ACCORDING TO THE SECRET SERVICE THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I AM AT A LOSS FOR WORDS AT THIS POINT.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION THAT MIGHT BE HELPFUL.

THANKS TONY HURT

Old 02-03-2003, 10:15 PM   #2
jim0602
this can not be for real..no one is really this gullabel are they???

Old 02-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #3
JasonBrennan
what is it with Nigeria?????

I don't know what it is about that country, but there sure do seem to be alot of money scams that originate out of Nigeria!! I have recieved several emails and snail mail letters saying all sorts of things....but all boil down to someone willing to share millions of dollars with you if you would just deposit the money into your bank account and then send them part of it. I even saw a show on Dateline (or some similar news type show) about the Nigerian scams.

I would say that, just to be safe, stick to in country sales unless you know who you are dealing with. (or at least be wary of Nigeria!)

Jason Brennan

Old 02-04-2003, 12:15 AM   #4
Darin Chappell
I cannot comment on the gullibility factor of Mr. Hurt. However, I DI find some interesting facts about Nigeria in a cursory search about extradition.

In 1931, the US and the UK agreed on an extradition treaty. In 1935, that treaty was applied to Nigeria, then a British protectorate. However, since its independence, Nigeria has often times refused to abide by that finding, and the US has had a terrible time getting known criminals extradited to US justice.

I suspect THAT has a great deal to do with why we are all seeing those annoying "DEAER FRIENDE" letters. Good luck to Mr. Hurt in getting his money and/or satisfaction!

Old 02-04-2003, 12:53 AM   #5
Spilotes
Thats an interesting twist on the typical Nigerian scams. Keep us posted please.

To be fair, the typical Nigerian scam has spread thru Africa. I get the impression that folks are selling the "package" to others, who are propogating it. Like the "Work at home" scams in this country (US).

The political system and unrest in Nigeria these days has made it a rather lawless state. You certainly won't see your money again - or I should say, I would be surprised if you did. It sounds like, in essence, you just cashed a bad check for them, and sent them the cash difference? Man, you've got to give them credit for their creativity!

Joe Monahan

Old 02-04-2003, 01:45 AM   #6
LORI KEHOE
That really bites ! One question though... WHY would you have sent the remainder of funds out like you did rather than waiting for the check to clear ?? That would have saved you a ton of grief. It would have been advisable to NOT send any funds out until check cleared. You also would NOT be out the funds that you now are.
Good luck in clearing up this mess, allthough I doubt you will ever see the funds again from it all.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:27 AM   #7
dkpuma
Tony,

Contact me dkpuma@cox.net. I am holding on to one of his cashier's checks with the envelope it was sent from. I never deposited the check as I am aware of the scams involving Nigerians.

David Van Houten
Logan Enterprises

Old 02-06-2003, 01:43 AM   #8
Gilbert Thompson
Tony that's horrible!!

Hey Tony,
That is horrible man!! You know where I am if you need anything!
Good Luck!
Gilbert Thompson

Old 02-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #9
HerpVenue
NEVER NEVER NEVER do any deals with anyone in NIGERIA.
That is the internet scam capital of the world.

I get e-mails all the time from people pretending to be with the government or some banking system offering me money. All I have to do is give them my bank info. they will wire me millions and millions of Dollars. I would hold on to it and I keep 5% or something.

They have done numerous specials on TV in magazines. (Even computer magazines)

NEVER NEVER

Old 02-06-2003, 08:52 AM   #10
John Albrecht
Did you send him any snakes?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!