"Smart" phones..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
WebSlave
"Smart" phones.....

So it appears that the battery in my Smithsonian quality cell phone has died. Won't take a charge, so I presume that is what is wrong with it. Probably just died from neglect, as we never really use it.

We went to the local Verizon store the other day, thinking that we could get a new battery there. The guy looked at the phone like it was an original Alexander Graham Bell relic. And of course they don't have batteries there. So I asked him about perhaps upgrading to one of those new fangled "smart" phones that nearly everyone else in the universe has stuck to the side of their head. Sure, he says, just give me your cell phone number. Fortunately Connie knew it, because I sure don't. So he then asks for my social security number. Eh? Well, no, thank you very much. I just don't give out that information to any Tom, Dick, or Harry who asks for it. Unless this is something associated with IRS records concerning my income, then you really don't have a "need to know". Well he kind of cops an attitude and swings the screen monitor around to me for me to find my own record. I spell out my name, but obviously he's not interested. So they can't find my account using the phone number and my name?

Screw that. We walked out and quite doubtful our shadows will ever darken their doorway again.

So much for that plan. Figure I can find out what I want online. Well, maybe not. Just how many brands and models of these things are there, anyway? Figure I would start with the newest ones, and started reading the reviews. After going through about a dozen reviews or so, it dawned on me that not a one of them was saying ANYTHING about how well they operate a a phone. GPS? Yep. Taking photos. Yep. Taking videos? Yep. Storage space? Yep. How well the phone operation is? Nope.

So heck, maybe I just need to stick with a dumb phone. Anyone here have any pointers about a smart PHONE and how well theirs works? You know, for sending and receiving actual phone messages?

Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
bcr229
What phone? I've had the same one since 2004. Just bought a new battery for it online and it's still going. It's a phone, I don't need the rest of the bells and whistles.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
CwnAnnwn
It is hard to get a cellphone plan in this country with out an SS.

You can, but you have to work it.

First, don't buy the phone from them.

I have the nexus 6. Nexus line gets the first in updates. You have to submit to google, but you have to pick your evils.

The nexus line has some bonuses.

1.) it works with most carriers internationally and locally.
2.) It gets updates as googles releases them.
3.) it can be easily rooted to keep the snooping to a minimum.

As for carriers, pay as you is the way to go. I use Ting. They don't require all your info. You don't have to give your name even. You can pay with gift cards. But can get expensive if you hammer the data. 99% of my calls and data is over wifi.

Phone bill for 2 phones (both nexus 6) with ting is 29.27 with taxes and fees. Bills can range from as low as 18 dollars a month, if you use mostly wifi. If you are average, it will be about 87 for 2 phones.

We make almost all phone call and text over wifi.

As for how smartphones work, they are more or less equal.

I would stick to something like the nexus, or one plus one. Easy to root and secure. And will work with most carriers inside and outside the country.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Lucille
I finally broke down and got a smart phone, an inexpensive Samsung Galaxy Light. As far as 'phone performance' goes, it is fine. My previous, dumb phone was fine. My previous previous long ago rotary dial landline was fine.
The Samsung is nothing special, although it is dependable; but unlike my sons whose cell phones are almost a part of their body, I don't use it much. It does have an emergency dial that bypasses the usual password sign in, that is a nice feature that I hope I will never need.

I LOVE the bells and whistles, though. I can take pictures and then send them to my computer. It has an alarm clock. I can connect with Spotify and listen to the blues. And although I have a separate GPS, it has a GPS function as well.
My sons use all sorts of additional apps, and there are phone banking and financial apps, I do not use those.

It isn't something I can't do without, but I like it.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
What phone? I've had the same one since 2004. Just bought a new battery for it online and it's still going. It's a phone, I don't need the rest of the bells and whistles.
It's a Motorola Alltell phone. Of course, now it is a NoTell phone....

I guess I can see where even ads in printed material are sporting those square blocks that can be used to scan with a smart phone for more info, and quite likely they will become more and more prevalent over time. Then when I was looking at quad copters, a good number of them had interfaces to work with a smart phone. And then my GoPro can be used with the smart phone as well. Just a matter of time before houses will be completely controlled via the smartphone interface, and perhaps everything else as well. So I might as well get familiar with the beasts. Who knows? When I die, I might get to the elevator and there will be a notice saying "To get to the upper floor, please scan this code with your smart phone. Otherwise press the RED button."

Old 12-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
WebSlave
Oh yeah, there was another thing that sort of bothered me looking at these new smart phones. It appears that many of them, if not most, do not have replaceable batteries. Really? Heck, I have a cell phone right now with apparently a dead battery. And these new smart phones are WAY more expensive than the one I already have. So when the battery gives up the ghost after enough charge/discharge cycles, you just toss the whole thing into the garbage can?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
And these new smart phones are WAY more expensive than the one I already have. So when the battery gives up the ghost after enough charge/discharge cycles, you just toss the whole thing into the garbage can?
My cell phone was inexpensive, but if you get a higher end phone there are places you can trade in or sell, you don't throw it in the trash.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
It's a Motorola Alltell phone. Of course, now it is a NoTell phone....
LOL.

Try here, if they don't have a replacement it likely doesn't exist. The model # to look for refers to the battery, not the phone.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...qxZ1yq9544?1=1

Old 12-04-2015, 12:43 AM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
LOL.

Try here, if they don't have a replacement it likely doesn't exist. The model # to look for refers to the battery, not the phone.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...qxZ1yq9544?1=1
Thanks, but I opened it up and got the battery model number and found sources on Ebay.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
Dbz4246
Quote:
Thanks, but I opened it up and got the battery model number and found sources on Ebay.
Good that you found a battery for it, I was gonna suggest Batteries+ but I don't actually know if they would carry it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!