Toad won't eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
lyndz915
Toad won't eat

I have a Cane Toad in a 25 gallon tank with a screen top and a UV light along the top. There is also an under the tank heating pad in one corner and a heat lamp in another. I have not seen her eat and she will not take frozen mice or anything that doesn't move. Can some one help me? She is becoming skinny.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
What are the temps in this cage? Hot side and cool side? It sounds as if the toad may be too hot. Cane toads can't take a lot of heat. He doesn't require UV lighting. Try feeding him at night w/o any lights on. Try a live fuzzy mouse or if he's too smll for fuzzy mice, crickets. I have yet to see a cane toad NOT eat unless the husbandry wasn't quite right.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndz915
I have not seen her eat and she will not take frozen mice or anything that doesn't move. Can some one help me? She is becoming skinny.
I just reread your post.

Did you mean this animal is not eating at all?
Or did you mean that this animal won't take prekilled food?

You say the animal "won't take anything that doesn't move". I hope for the toad's sake you're not starving it to death because you won't feed it live prey.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
lyndz915
For the past week Ive had to pry its mouth open with a spoon and put a cricket in its mouth. It is very skinny.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
Has he ever eaten for you? Again, what are the cool and warm temps in his cage?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
lyndz915
I have really only seen him eat once, but I know he used to be eating because I could feel everything he had eaten in his stomach. Im not sure what the cool and warm temps are.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
lyndz915
He has an overhead heat/spot lamp and an under the cage heating pag in one corner, and plenty of placs to hide. he will not eat the crickets or anything that moves. Im not sure what to do. A vet is out of the question. I have been forced to force feed it with a syringe. I need some help here.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
liquidleaf
You should really buy a couple of thermometers (even the strip-stick-on type if nothing else to get a roundabout guess) and stick them in there so you can tell exactly how warm or cool the cage is. Then, those people on the board who are familiar with this frog can help you much more easily.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!