68 days and finally, I am so happy. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2004, 05:19 AM   #11
Intense Herpetoculture
Wow, that is really an acomplishment, great work Alberto!!! Which bloodline is this?

Old 05-21-2004, 08:18 AM   #12
A&M Gecko
Those babies come from a pair that I got from Mike at BGR but as you all probably know by now, a lot of knobs are going to arrive from Honk Kong,
Alberto
Yes, it is a great satisfaction when you see the babies hatch, those are not easy to breed like leos.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #13
KelliH
Alberto-

What types of special things did you have to do to get them to successfully reproduce? Do you have to give them a time of brumation? Feed less?

Old 05-21-2004, 10:02 AM   #14
A&M Gecko
Kelli,
You know very well what works the best, TLC, lol. I do not brumate my knob tails in the first year, I grow them up to breeding size and I breed them and then I brumate them for 2-3 months after they are done laying. Wheeleri are rough knob and like amyae do not need as much humidity, as I have found in my experience, they like it dry. It was tricky inducing them to breed, at first the female did not want to accept the male, the males are always interested . What I did, I made it a little more humid for about a week, spraying the enclosure more often to make the female think of a change season or sort of something like that. After I put the male in and the female laid flat on the belly, you know what that means, lol. Well, when the female lays flat when you put the male in that means, come and get some , if the female lift up the tail and starts waving it that means get away from me I am not ready . Oh, when I brumate them I stop feeding them 1 week before I drop the temps and then to allow all the food to be digested, during brumation they get nothing, 0, they cannot eat when brumating. Immagine, 3 months vacation, oh my god that is a dream for me, lol. (yeah, my wife said, me too, lol)
Alberto

Old 05-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
KelliH
Alberto-

No, I did not know any of that, I appreciate the information very much. I really did not have any idea.

It seems when it comes to knobtails many people don't want to share their techniques and info. I am still having a hard time getting my female amyae to accept my male. I am going to try what you suggested and mist more for a few days and see if that makes her, well, turned on

Old 05-21-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
A&M Gecko
I suggest you keep them separate and just introduce the male in the female enclosure. Some people keep them in colonies with success. I like to see the action that way I know when to expect the eggs.
Alberto

Old 05-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #17
KelliH
Quote:
I suggest you keep them separate and just introduce the male in the female enclosure. Some people keep them in colonies with success.
Yes, I keep them all seperately, and have been leaving the male in overnight with my largest female. Just have not seen any breeding, although it's quite obvious the male wants it (typical right).

Oh, one more question, when your wheeleri was gravid was it quite obvious, meaning could you see the eggs inside her?

Old 05-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #18
A&M Gecko
Quote:
Oh, one more question, when your wheeleri was gravid was it quite obvious, meaning could you see the eggs inside her?
Yes, you can tell very easy when the female is gravid, she is much fatter then normal. Gravid females wheeleri shed just about a week before they lay the eggs and they stop eating just about the same time. They are very easy if you know what sign to look for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!