10 Foods Sold in the U.S. That Are Banned Elsewhere - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Clay Davenport
All that being perfectly fine here, but you can't have raw milk or products like cheese made from it. That's too dangerous and those reckless Europeans don't restrict it at all.

I blame this situation largely on the lobbyist factor we have here, and the political campaign support that goes along with it.
While I'm not sure there is a Papaya lobby, the rest of that list has a well funded lobbying campaign making sure their profits are not threatened over something as trivial as endangering the health of the consumers.
Politicians are so easily bought and paid for in this country.
Look at the efforts to require labeling of GMO foods and the resistance of lawmakers to require it.
At the same time there's many new drugs being used extensively in other countries to successfully treat debilitating illnesses that we can't have here because the FDA won't approve them. Things like cancer are big business and make too much money using less effective treatments.

When it comes to a choice between profits for big corporations and our health, we'll lose most every time.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Lucille
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/he...it_th_20131212

This will be widely touted as proof that the FDA is actually proactive, but there seem to be significant loopholes so that antibiotics can be prescribed, I do not necessarily think antibiotic use will decline but costs will rise as farmers have to have veterinarians involved in meat production.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
While I'm not sure there is a Papaya lobby,
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonentin...h-money-trail/

Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
All that being perfectly fine here, but you can't have raw milk or products like cheese made from it. That's too dangerous and those reckless Europeans don't restrict it at all.

I blame this situation largely on the lobbyist factor we have here, and the political campaign support that goes along with it.
While I'm not sure there is a Papaya lobby, the rest of that list has a well funded lobbying campaign making sure their profits are not threatened over something as trivial as endangering the health of the consumers.
Politicians are so easily bought and paid for in this country.
Look at the efforts to require labeling of GMO foods and the resistance of lawmakers to require it.
At the same time there's many new drugs being used extensively in other countries to successfully treat debilitating illnesses that we can't have here because the FDA won't approve them. Things like cancer are big business and make too much money using less effective treatments.

When it comes to a choice between profits for big corporations and our health, we'll lose most every time.
Yeah.... I've been putting off the effort of getting passports for Connie and myself, but honestly I think it would be a real good idea. Never know when we might need to get out of the country to get EFFECTIVE treatment for some malady that the US government would just as soon have us die from.

Heck, having everyone die early before reaching retirement age sure would help their bottom line concerning the looming disaster of social security, now wouldn't it? And don't even try to tell me this hasn't crossed some of their minds.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Well, there's an anti Papaya lobby anyway lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah.... I've been putting off the effort of getting passports for Connie and myself, but honestly I think it would be a real good idea. Never know when we might need to get out of the country to get EFFECTIVE treatment for some malady that the US government would just as soon have us die from.

Heck, having everyone die early before reaching retirement age sure would help their bottom line concerning the looming disaster of social security, now wouldn't it? And don't even try to tell me this hasn't crossed some of their minds.
You should definitely get the both of you a passport. It's a small amount of money and good for 10 years, but can take up to 3 months to actually get, so it's better to have it before you need it.
In the past people always thought of others coming to this country for medical treatment, and that still happens, but there are more and more people leaving here to get treatment elsewhere.
There's a lot of quality medicine practiced in other countries, and the cost is far cheaper as well. People are traveling more often these days for both essential and non essential procedures.
Besides, it's just handy to have in case you get a spur of the moment good deal on a trip somewhere you've been wanting to go.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Helenthereef
I can personally recommend Thailand - specifically Bumrumgrad hospital - top notch and probably a tenth of what you'd pay in the USA...

www.bumrungrad.com

Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
JColt
I never noticed how big papaya issues were until I started this thread.

Ecoterrorism? GMO Papaya Trees Cut Down on Big Island

About 100 papaya trees were cut down with machetes overnight on Thursday in the Big Island's Puna District, according to the Hawaii Police Department.

The papaya trees, which were three to four feet tall and valued at $3,000, were on the J and L Papaya Farm off of Highway 132, according to Capt. Samuel Jelsma.

The incident comes as the Big Island community is considering the future of biotech on the island. Two bills are currently up for debate by the county council that would impose restrictions on biotech. One bill, introduced by Councilwoman Brenda Ford, would require that the island's GMO papaya fields be cut down. Farmers or landowners growing GMO papaya would face jail and fines.

Almost all of the papaya grown on the Big Island is from seeds that were genetically altered in the 1990s to protect the crop from a devastating ringspot virus.

Jelsma has heard theories that anti-GMO protestors cut down the papaya trees, but said he wasn't going to speculate. "At this point, we have nothing to show the motives," he said.

This isn't the first time that the Puna district's lush papaya fields have been attacked with machetes.

In 2011, about 10 acres of trees were cut down on three adjoining papaya farms. The year before, some 8,500 papaya trees were cut down.

Some believed the incidents were the work of GMO protestors.

The police department never solved the cases, said Jelsma.

http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/20...on-big-island/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!