Capture of exotic snakes worries animal experts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Capture of exotic snakes worries animal experts

SPCA shelter in Stanton received five boa constrictors in less than a week
BY ROBIN BROWN / The News Journal
09/24/2005

In less than a week, five constrictor snakes have arrived at the animal shelter in Stanton. That's got the director worried, hoping the snakes are an exception and not the start of a bad boa boom.

Experts say reptiles have grown as popular and mainstream as tropical fish among hobbyists who are well-educated and responsible -- but the situation at the shelter shows what can happen when snakes slither into the wrong hands.

"There is a very large pet trade in reptiles and amphibians," said Jim White, considered Delaware's top snake expert. "It's huge."

He and other reptile experts hope the sudden surge of boas is a rare exception and not a growing trend.

John Caldwell, longtime director of the Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said the agency has housed more than five snakes at a time, on rare occasions. "But never five boa constrictors that I can remember," he said.

The strong-bodied snakes, known for their ability to squeeze the life out of their prey, are not good pets -- and without permits, owning them is illegal in Delaware, Caldwell said.

An 8-foot Argentina boa and three 4- to 6-foot boas were found abandoned Sept. 16 at William Penn Village Apartments near New Castle after a tenant's eviction. (A cat found there also was taken to the shelter.)

But it was an odd phone call Monday that brought the last of the five boas to the SPCA.

Wilmington police called the SPCA after officers stopped a man walking in the 400 block of S. Van Buren St. with the snake around his neck. That snake, about 5 feet long, was seized when the young man said he did not have a permit to own it.

Beyond the Delaware Department of Agriculture permits required to keep boas anywhere in the state, New Castle County bans exotic reptiles in residential areas. Common reptiles -- such as iguanas, geckos, chameleons and others often sold at pet shops -- are allowed.

Caldwell said he thinks there should be another law. He said that law should ban snake owners from selling to anyone without a permit.

He said that would ensure that snakes were bought only by qualified, permit-holding care-takers, such as zoos, wildlife centers and animal professionals working in educational contexts, such as Delaware's well-known children's educator-entertainer "Jungle" John LaMedica.

LaMedica, who lives near Newark, is one of fewer than 100 New Castle County residents who have reptile permits. After a Stanton man was found dead in his home among numerous illegal snakes a few years ago, an ordinance was enacted to restrict snakes in residential areas and stop new permits. LaMedica was among the dwindling number of people who already had permits and were "grandfathered."

"The joke is, it's easier to get a gun permit in New Castle County than it is to get a reptile permit," he said.

LaMedica said the Stanton man who prompted the county ban was an uncommonly poor caretaker of snakes, as were the former owners of the boas now at the SPCA.

The young man who police found walking with his snake around his neck had been thrown out of his house, along with his two dogs, after his mother grew sick of his failure to care for them properly, LaMedica said. The New Castle apartment tenant clearly was irresponsible if he would leave animals behind when evicted, he said.

Growing in popularity

LaMedica, who visited the SPCA and examined the boas, shares Caldwell's concern about the possibility of a trend in illegal snakes, which he said could damage the hobby.

Keeping reptiles has become as popular and mainstream a family hobby in recent years as keeping tropical fish, LaMedica said. The Internet made information about reptiles easily accessible, and hobbyists now can enjoy thousands of Web sites, newsletters and chat rooms, as well as resulting clubs and magazines.

"In the '70s, when I started keeping reptiles, there was nothing," he said.

Wanting to share the positive side of reptiles, he graduated from zookeeping school in Florida, worked at Brandywine Zoo, then went into the snake business nearly 20 years ago. "Every state has educators similar to me," he said.

But state laws vary and the public rarely is educated in reptile law, he said. For example, he said, few people know Delaware requires permits for all non-native snakes, and few know that venomous ones -- like those found with the Stanton man -- already were banned.

"People have no clue that there's a law at all," he said.

And -- as with pythons, pit bulls or any kind of creature -- there is a percentage of impulse buyers and people who do not understand, or are unable to meet, the animals' care and feeding needs.

'Wild animals'

The SPCA shelter rarely gets even one boa a year, Caldwell said. Five at once raised his eyebrow toward a trend he hopes to quash.

"These are wild animals, zoo animals," he said. "I don't understand why people have them. It's totally mind-baffling."

Experts caution would-be owners not to get snakes simply because they are fascinating -- and available.

White, of the Delaware Nature Society, said all kinds of reptiles and amphibians are sold at shows in Maryland and Pennsylvania: "You could buy a rattlesnake if you wanted," White said. Sellers at such shows do not ensure buyers' ownership will be legal in their home states.

"You buy it," he said, "but wherever you live, you have to abide by the law. A lot of people don't know that."

White said snakes' unique limblessness naturally fuels people's fascination and desire to own them. But he warned that any buyer should know applicable laws or risk losing animals they should not have to start with.

The seized and abandoned boas at the nonprofit SPCA shelter are not up for adoption, Caldwell said. The SPCA plans to place them in appropriate environments with experts who have permits to care for them.

At the SPCA, the boas have their own enclave. Away from the adoptable cats and dogs, they slink in aquariums and cages, warmed by sunlamps, on a diet of live rodents.

Not that Caldwell minds his uncommon guests. But he is a man more used to canines and felines.

He hopes not to see the snake colony grow and said, "This is such an unusual sight."

Link to Story

Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Junkyard
Quote:
"There is a very large pet trade in reptiles and amphibians," said Jim White, considered Delaware's top snake expert. "It's huge."
Good for this guy, he wrote a field guide.

Quote:
He and other reptile experts hope the sudden surge of boas is a rare exception and not a growing trend.
This is a great line, just because one person owns five boas(and a cat) that means every other person in Delaware owns a boa

Quote:
The strong-bodied snakes, known for their ability to squeeze the life out of their prey, are not good pets -- and without permits, owning them is illegal in Delaware, Caldwell said.
That right they squeeze the life out of their prey that is why I like them, it makes me feel like a bigger man because I need to compensate for what I lack(a huge supped up diesel truck with the frame 6 feet off the ground, 46 inch tires, 22 spot lights, front and back end guard rails, chrome, and graphics all around)

"Not good pets" They can kiss my big fat white butt and meet my boas, mine are awesome pets. Oh yeah, they do not eat cats and dogs.

Quote:
An 8-foot Argentina boa and three 4- to 6-foot boas were found abandoned Sept. 16 at William Penn Village Apartments near New Castle after a tenant's eviction. (A cat found there also was taken to the shelter.)
We all know how lucky that cat is to escape alive, to think how in-human(yes that is spelled right) it was of that man to leave a cat with boas. We all know how easily a boa can escape from a proper cage, of course we will not tell the world our little secret now will we.

Quote:
Wilmington police called the SPCA after officers stopped a man walking in the 400 block of S. Van Buren St. with the snake around his neck. That snake, about 5 feet long, was seized when the young man said he did not have a permit to own it.

Beyond the Delaware Department of Agriculture permits required to keep boas anywhere in the state, New Castle County bans exotic reptiles in residential areas. Common reptiles -- such as iguanas, geckos, chameleons and others often sold at pet shops -- are allowed.
For that reason you will never see me live in Delaware. Of course I am allowed to bring my 6 foot iguanas that will whip anyone and anything the moment it see you. (Oh the fun of owning a rescue) How about I bring in my turtles and allow the neighborhood children lick them and chomp on my geckos. We can use a little salmonella to remove a few genes from the pool.

Quote:
Caldwell said he thinks there should be another law. He said that law should ban snake owners from selling to anyone without a permit.
Oh yeah, this Caldwell is on my favorite persons list now. Lets think about this shall we. Does this mean I too also will need a permit to sell to others in any state just because Dleaware does not want me to sell to their residents? Guess what? This is as smart as the idea of a screen door on a submarine.

Quote:
He said that would ensure that snakes were bought only by qualified, permit-holding care-takers, such as zoos, wildlife centers and animal professionals working in educational contexts, such as Delaware's well-known children's educator-entertainer "Jungle" John LaMedica.
Let me tell you a little story about the expertise,or should I say "qualified, permit-holding care-takers, such as zoos, wildlife centers and animal professionals" , of the San Diego zoo reptile keepers. A few years ago a keeper was bit by an Asian tree viper. A favorite of mine is the keeper who was cleaning the cage of a very big snake by himself. Another keeper happened to walk buy just in time to see the keeper in the cage caught by the snake and being squeezed.

Lets just turn the snakes over to those "qualified, permit-holding care-takers, such as zoos, wildlife centers and animal professionals"who do not follow the every person for every 6 feet of a docile snake, and one person for every 4 feet of an agressive snake.

Quote:
LaMedica, who lives near Newark, is one of fewer than 100 New Castle County residents who have reptile permits. After a Stanton man was found dead in his home among numerous illegal snakes a few years ago, an ordinance was enacted to restrict snakes in residential areas and stop new permits. LaMedica was among the dwindling number of people who already had permits and were "grandfathered."
Run Away!!! Run Away!!! The snakes are coming, they are producing faster than mice!!!

Quote:
"The joke is, it's easier to get a gun permit in New Castle County than it is to get a reptile permit," he said.
Hahahahahahahah!!! I just fell out of my chair that was sooooo Funny!!!!!!

Quote:
LaMedica said the Stanton man who prompted the county ban was an uncommonly poor caretaker of snakes, as were the former owners of the boas now at the SPCA.
All it takes is one person doesn't it? This is why I do so many educational presentations and stress the importance of proper care. One person can scare an entire state, to the point where they ban snakes all together.

Quote:
The young man who police found walking with his snake around his neck had been thrown out of his house, along with his two dogs, after his mother grew sick of his failure to care for them properly, LaMedica said. The New Castle apartment tenant clearly was irresponsible if he would leave animals behind when evicted, he said.
As I said, it only takes one person!

Quote:
LaMedica, who visited the SPCA and examined the boas, shares Caldwell's concern about the possibility of a trend in illegal snakes, which he said could damage the hobby.
Only one person can ruin the hobby because they own snakes illegally.

Quote:
Keeping reptiles has become as popular and mainstream a family hobby in recent years as keeping tropical fish, LaMedica said. The Internet made information about reptiles easily accessible, and hobbyists now can enjoy thousands of Web sites, newsletters and chat rooms, as well as resulting clubs and magazines.
How about we mention the amount of support there is for proper keeping of snakes on the internet? Can we even mentiont that we have care sheets to assist those who are interested in buying a snake? Can we mention that there is more fighting for the proper care of snakes than people think?

Quote:
"In the '70s, when I started keeping reptiles, there was nothing," he said.

Wanting to share the positive side of reptiles, he graduated from zookeeping school in Florida, worked at Brandywine Zoo, then went into the snake business nearly 20 years ago. "Every state has educators similar to me," he said.
Wow he is educated, to think, he spent all those years in Florida and he runs away from snakes by moving to Delaware.

Quote:
But state laws vary and the public rarely is educated in reptile law, he said. For example, he said, few people know Delaware requires permits for all non-native snakes, and few know that venomous ones -- like those found with the Stanton man -- already were banned.

"People have no clue that there's a law at all," he said.
Right, how many of us go on a states internet site to look up the proper information and cannot find it? How many of us have called local authorities to learn what the proper laws and regulations are only to get the run around? How many of us hung up not sure why we called in the first place?

Quote:
And -- as with pythons, pit bulls or any kind of creature -- there is a percentage of impulse buyers and people who do not understand, or are unable to meet, the animals' care and feeding needs.
Wow, I actually agree. Why, because I own a rescue and have friends that do also, we see this all the time.

Quote:
'Wild animals'
So are humans

Quote:
The SPCA shelter rarely gets even one boa a year, Caldwell said. Five at once raised his eyebrow toward a trend he hopes to quash.
Why do they not get them often, because of those who own them do so leagally and properly. They do not just missplace a 9 foot snake. Of course we all know how quickly they reproduce. Soon Delaware will be a boas native home where they can have as many babies as they want. The climate is perfect for boas, Delaware will be the next Florida and their Burms.

Quote:
"These are wild animals, zoo animals," he said. "I don't understand why people have them. It's totally mind-baffling."
Read above as why I keep them. It's not mind baffling, its just pure testosterone. I love how prejudice this guy is to snakes, maybe he should not be in the animal hobby. Accept it dude, snakes will never go away!

Quote:
Experts caution would-be owners not to get snakes simply because they are fascinating -- and available.
First make sure you know the laws and have the knowledge and ability to provide for the snakes first. When you can do that, then buy a snake.(They forgot to add that, so I did)

Quote:
White, of the Delaware Nature Society, said all kinds of reptiles and amphibians are sold at shows in Maryland and Pennsylvania: "You could buy a rattlesnake if you wanted," White said. Sellers at such shows do not ensure buyers' ownership will be legal in their home states.

"You buy it," he said, "but wherever you live, you have to abide by the law. A lot of people don't know that."
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!! Thats right, we sell rattlesnakes to everyone even little kids!!!! We never check to make sure the buyer has proper permits!! In fact lets make sure the children handle them all first!! This way we can rid the state of Delaware of people, than we can take over and make all exotic animals legal. Conspiricy theory is no longer a theory, we snake nuts are taking over!! Than we will make sure those who disagree with us drink a bottle of snake venom!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

We are here to take over and worship the snake!!! We will say our prayers "Oh Snake God way on the ground, slither and climb and free us from the wos of our enemies. Hiss at them and bite those who do not like us. We know that thou art the God of our fathers, the God of our true religion, we will forever worship thee. For we know we are better than everyone else in this world, we will walk over those who hate snakes and squeeze the life out of those who fight with us"

Quote:
White said snakes' unique limblessness naturally fuels people's fascination and desire to own them. But he warned that any buyer should know applicable laws or risk losing animals they should not have to start with.
Exactly, we are only fascinated by snakes because they are limbless. Not to mention the legless lizard I own.

Quote:
The seized and abandoned boas at the nonprofit SPCA shelter are not up for adoption, Caldwell said. The SPCA plans to place them in appropriate environments with experts who have permits to care for them.
Yes to those special "qualified, permit-holding care-takers, such as zoos, wildlife centers and animal professionals"

Quote:
At the SPCA, the boas have their own enclave. Away from the adoptable cats and dogs, they slink in aquariums and cages, warmed by sunlamps, on a diet of live rodents.
Lets lock them up in a bank vault, that way they will not escape and eat the cats and dogs. We all know they will slither right by the rodent room and head straight for the 9 pound cats and 100 pound dogs, because thats what these snakes have eaten their entire life with the previous owner.

Quote:
Not that Caldwell minds his uncommon guests. But he is a man more used to canines and felines.

He hopes not to see the snake colony grow and said, "This is such an unusual sight."
Careful, the snakes will breed in the shelters too, every month they should expect some huge clutches from these snakes. I should also mention that each of the snakes also bred in the wild when no one was looking.

If this is offensive to anyone, please know there is a lot of sarcasm involved in what I wrote. This is not for the intentions of offending anyone in Delaware, well, except those who are involved with this article. Please know this was a little touchy for me to read, I normally do not do this. I will go drink a Dr Pepper and relax, thank you for allowing me to vent.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
ByRandom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!! Thats right, we sell rattlesnakes to everyone even little kids!!!! We never check to make sure the buyer has proper permits!! In fact lets make sure the children handle them all first!! This way we can rid the state of Delaware of people, than we can take over and make all exotic animals legal. Conspiricy theory is no longer a theory, we snake nuts are taking over!! Than we will make sure those who disagree with us drink a bottle of snake venom!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

We are here to take over and worship the snake!!! We will say our prayers "Oh Snake God way on the ground, slither and climb and free us from the wos of our enemies. Hiss at them and bite those who do not like us. We know that thou art the God of our fathers, the God of our true religion, we will forever worship thee. For we know we are better than everyone else in this world, we will walk over those who hate snakes and squeeze the life out of those who fight with us"
I'm all for snakes, don't keep any at the moment because of my living situations (mother hates snakes.. free room and board.. what more could a college kid ask for? Plus 10 minutes from the college.) But..

That is the funniest post I have read in a long time. I was honestly laughing out loud. Great post!

Old 09-25-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
hhmoore
Oh where to start...there is so much fuel in the article itself, it is tough to decide. I'll keep it simple
Quote:
I'd be very interested in hearing how they differentiate between exotic and common reptiles, if boas are exotic but iguanas and chameleons are common.

Unfortunately, time is a luxury that I do not have lately, so I will have to stop here. Junkyard - I understand that there was a lot of sarcasm in your post...but I still had problems with some of it. when I get a chance - I will try to sort it out and respond to you personally via PM or email

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!