Smith Baker Beware!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #1
theturtleshop
Smith Baker Beware!!!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about a guy named "Smith Baker" He emailed me on April 14th stating that he wanted to purchase some redtails anbd other reptiles from me. This guy smelled funny from the beggining with his choppy English which I have recognized before asking me if I accepted a US Bank issued cashiers check and stressed to know where I lived so he can have his shipper come pick up some animals. From his English I could tell he was not from the US so I told him right off the bat I didn't ship out of the US. For all of you who don't know about this scam, Someone will claim to live in Europe or Africa or wherever and say they want to buy animals from you but the catch is that they will issue you a US cashiers check and some guy (his shipper)will come and pick up the animals. Most of the time the Check bounces for some reason. I'm not really sure how the scam really works but I read it here on the BOI before. Some different versions of this scam is that the guy will say that he is gonna send you more than what the animals cost and when the check clears you send him the remaining balance. I said to him, if you can get your shipper to get a cashiers check, then thats about the same as cash and to give me a money order or cash. I also told him that I have heard of this scam he is trying to commit and if he really wants the animals to just pay me cash or a money order which is pretty much prepaid cash. I got no reply which means he probably is a scammer. I'm sure his name is fake and he has multiple emailes so just be careful of scammers like these. Maybe he is a scammer maybe he's not. Until I recieve an email from him clearing things up I am going to believe he is a scammer and so should you so watch out! The Emailes are below:

Sent : Wednesday, April 14, 2004 7:07 PM
To : theturtleshop@hotmail.com
Subject : your advert BABY Ball pythons & Red tail Boas

| | | Inbox

Good Day,
I am interested in your advert pet for sale.Pls email me with your last
selling price.I also like to see the pixs if available and get back to me with
the present condition of the pet.
Do get back to me with your full name,contact address and telephone number if
it is okey by you to accept a cashiers cheque drawn from a US bank.
Thanks
HOpe to read from you soon.
Baker..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:28:09 -0700
To: smithbaker@usa.com
Subject: RE: your advert BABY Ball pythons & Red tail Boas

> Hi,
>
> The baby ball pythons are $35 for feeding balls and $175 for suriname red
> tails as well as $70 for columbian red tail boas. Where are you located? I
> accept cashiers check. You can reach me at 909.231.8358
>
> Sincerely,
> Andrew
>
> I do not ship out of the counrty.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Andrew,
Thanks very much for your mail.I have found the price sound okey for me.Let
me know how many that u have left for sale..Pls get back to me with your full
name,contact address and telephone number if it okey by u to accept a cashier's
cheque drawn from a US bank.
Note that I am in the UK and i have made arrangement with my shipper who
will come for the pick up of the (Animal)boa as soon as these transaction is
sealed and the cashier's cheque has cleared in your account.
Mail me Asap....
Smith..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last email I sent him right away since he told me to get back to him asap. This is when I told him I have heard about a scam like the one he is trying to pull and to pay me cash if he wants anything. No reply and its been 4 days. This whole situation is just very smelly. If anyone knows how this scam works please post it so we can really understand what he is trying to pull here. Just giving everyone a heads up! Laters.

Sincerely,
Andrew Yau

PS: If anyone have had similar experiences please post so no one will ever get scammed by these losers.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #2
gmherps
Sounds like the same scams from Africa. Better just stay away.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!